6.5x47 Powder Choice for Best Result (incl barrel life)

brown dog

Rather hijacked the throat erosion thread. Thought I should repost here as a seperate topic:

Interesting tool Laurie, what do you make of it?

I just ran a comparison of the same charge weight of three different powders at the default pressure setting for 6.5x47;

[clearly, we're all guessing (even with quickload) when it comes to pressure; but I think we could SWAG assume that two loads at similar top-end MV, with neither showing pressure signs, are not a world apart in terms of pressure.]

Seems to relate directly to the powder's listed heat potential.

Never given this any thought before as I've been wedded to 308 for so long :rolleyes:

Are we all missing a trick with N140?!........

Just looked at that again.

37.5gr R15 Pressure SWAG 56K

BarrellifeR15.jpg

38gr VARGET (gives same MV as 37.5 R15) Pressure SWAG LOWER than R15 at 55K:

Barrellifevgtlowerpresuue.jpg

and the same varget load giving the same pressure as R15 56K:

Barrellifevgtsamepresuue.jpg

Compared to N140 at the same charge weight (38gr) and 56K:

BarrellifeN140samepresuue.jpg

Compared to banging N140 right up to 39gr and 58K:

BarrellifeN14039gr58K.jpg

Soo...

A pokey N140 load would give 500rds more life than R15, and 600 more than VARGET

A 'same same' N140 load would give 800rds more life than R15, and 900 more than VARGET

'same same' R15 and VARGET loads, the R15 gives c200 more

A same same but guessing lower pressure for Varget , the R15 gives c140 more

Are we all missing a trick with N140?!

Not tried N140 - so impressed with Varget I left as is..

See my reply re erosion in that post. ;)

I have looked no further than varget as it seems to give very good results in all my calibres and i can get it localy but this adds an unexpected angle.

Well spotted that man.

Mat, have you found anywhere around here that keeps a good stock of vit powders? My next project will be a 260 and n140 could be a good place to start working up a load for it.

Not sure about comparing Varget with rl15 as the latter has very different burn properties to most powders which is how it generates such high bullet speed for relatively low pressure, it probably does not conform to said formula?

Looking forward to expert opinions.

Rup

I have looked no further than varget as it seems to give very good results in all my calibres and i can get it localy but this adds an unexpected angle.

Well spotted that man.

Mat, have you found anywhere around here that keeps a good stock of vit powders? My next project will be a 260 and n140 could be a good place to start working up a load for it.

Not sure about comparing Varget with rl15 as the latter has very different burn properties to most powders which is how it generates such high bullet speed for relatively low pressure, it probably does not conform to said formula?

Looking forward to expert opinions.

Rup

Rup, where are you getting varget locally? I can't find anything locally! I think, in terms of rifle shops we must live in the crappest part of the crappest county in UK, no stock, no knowledge, double the going price and all options run by muppet staff -and I've given up looking :rolleyes: Have you found a jewel amongst the sh1te?!

I sold Rup a truck load ^_^

yes thanks for that OA, it was a good deal that will keep me going for a while.

Mat - try Paul Cooke at the Ranges down Station Road in Devizes. Behind the Bear Hotel in the old railway tunnel. He keeps a good stock of Varget for his regulars, it's not the cheapest but it's always in stock and it's right on your doorstep. He also has rl17. He reloads for his own shooting needs so no bs.

Rup

Archived