Which Calibre?

Hi Guys

Love the forum, just planning my first rifle after years of borrowing, but getting a lot of conflicting advice on the calibre of rifle I should opt for.

I currently shoot rats with an air rifle and a Pulsar N550, for which I have an additional IR laser torch and a magnification doubler ready to go on the rimfire.

The shooting is for rabbits and with the nightscope the range can easily be kept down to under 100yds with most shots expected to be in the 50-80yd zone.

I am sure the choice is down to .17hmr or .22lr which gives me readily available ammo and a good choice of rifles.

If I could reap some of your experience that would be appreciated. If anyone lives close to East Devon and wants a look through the Pulsar get in touch.

Thanks in anticipation.

Another for the .22lr as long as the shooting isn't around buildings because the .22lr is a swine for ricochet's.

If you do intend to shoot it around farm buildings I would opt for an FAC rated air rifle, they can be quite cheap and are well capable of taking rabbits at 75yds if you get a good one.

Pretty much as above. Assesing the risk factor in shots at night is very hard especially if you new to powder burners. If the ground is super safe i would go .22 lr with subs coz its way better and cheaper

I was waiting of a HMR recomendation, thats what you would get on most shooting forums. I was forced to loose mine for a Hornet or any other vermin specified rifle to be added found exactly the same ronnie. Stragely i feel the HMR is making intrest in smaller less powerfull centrefires boom currently as we bought into the HMR consept but got disolusioned with the results.

Well me i must be the odd one out i would go for the flat shooting 17hmr, as judging distance at night is the hardest thing with night vision shooting, and the hummer is point n shoot out to 100+ ;)

Is the whole idea of NV not to get close undetected though? When told i had to loose a vermin rifle the HMR was the first on my list. The head of firearms wanted the .22 realy but i said no way they both clear the field in a different way one with a bag of bunnies the other with a sharp crack! If you tried the Moderated Hornet up here you would loose yours too 2 1/2" better on windage than the HMR at 140 yds 4" better at 200 yds with less drop to boot 10mph figures (but a gentle breeze up these parts)

Was thinking of chopping for a .204, but must say i love my hmr, .22lr not used this in over 10 months it just sits in the cab in fact i have now taken the scope off. The problem with nv is like i say you may get some rabbits at 50 yards then one at 130 yard judging this when it's pitch black is not easy, you guys wanna give it ago this is why i will stick with the hmr and not the .22lr

I had a HMR and hated the poxy thing. It was ok if there was no wind, but as soon as the wind got up it was all over the shop. In addition the HMR is a lot more expensive to feed and a lot more noisy than the sub sonic .22lr. I think the .17hmr was quite gucci when it first hit the market but I think the popularity is dropping off as people return to the .22lr.

I can take rabbits at 100yds with my .22lr all day long and it cost about £5 for 50 rounds and it is an almost silent killer. But could you do this at night?? did you get your tracking number i sent you?

Agreed, 22lr is the tool for this job.

Ronny, the 22lr with subs gets blown nearly 20% further off course than the HMR, yard for yard. Common misunderstanding brung about by them as try to push it too far. The prime reasons to knock the 17 are ammo cost and noise. That said there is always the benefit of an extra 50yds on a still day.

Personally I use Fac air and HMR but only because I started vermin shooting with air because the fac slot for air is issued open from day 1.

Rup

Archived