53gr VMAX for my 22-250???

Hi guys,

I am going to be trying some new loads up soon for my 22-250, currently using 36gr R15 with Speer SP pushing out 3618fps. Barrel is a heavy 1:14 twist, 28" long.

Really i want some advice or opinions on what you think about the new 53gr V Max will it work well in my rifle? Im going to try 55gr too but i was sucked in to buying them due to the slightly higher coef. Would love them to work for my longer range shooting. (I also bought some 55gr Vmax, 55gr Blitzking and 55gr Nosler.)

I have heard that this bullet was specifically designed for the .223 rather than any other calibre. Something to do with it being slightly longer and the ogive is different? Not sure if that makes alot of difference. Its stability im after I know 55gr shoot well but would love these to work better. (Appaling grammer :wacko: )

Advice is appreciated.

Many thanks hope all are well.

CZ

Try 52gr A MAX there awsome in 14 twist 22 centerfires.I have used them in .22.250 .22.250AI and 220 swift i would be hard pushed to use any other bullet in my hot .22's.Hope this helps,Oh and for the moment at least you can get them sent through the post.

Cheers sean

The 53gr V-Max do indeed need a 1 in 12 twist to stabilise in a 22-250, hence the reason why Hornady didn't use them in thier Superperformance 22-250 ammo as most factory barrels are a 1 in 14 twist.

The reason for this is the ultra high BC shape requires more twist to stabilise than a more conventional shape, hence most 1 in 14 twist rifles will shoot 55gr grain bullets just fine.

I had my 22-250 built with a 1 in 12 twist to shoot this bullet, the results have been very encouraging and accounted for 6 foxes last night alone.

I have used 55gr V-Max in my old 22/250 and would swear by them, still use them for my fire forming round in my 22/250AI, very accurate and consistant. Dont know about 53gr V-max, never used them.

Tony.

Hi gents,

Many thanks for taking the time to respond. I have bought some anyway to try and will post the results when i can and have shot them. If they are no good i will get them used in the father in laws rifle as im sure thats a 1:12 so should hopefully work fine. I have a feeling that my blitzkings are going to be the best but we will see, am loading them tomorrow eve, so will hopefully get them shot at weekend. But weather is appaling with me at the moment so it could be a while yet!!!

CZ

Hi gents,

Many thanks for taking the time to respond. I have bought some anyway to try and will post the results when i can and have shot them. If they are no good i will get them used in the father in laws rifle as im sure thats a 1:12 so should hopefully work fine. I have a feeling that my blitzkings are going to be the best but we will see, am loading them tomorrow eve, so will hopefully get them shot at weekend. But weather is appaling with me at the moment so it could be a while yet!!!

CZ

It will be a waste of powder mate, don't even bother, just pass them on to a .223 holder. They will not stabilise in a 1:14" barrel. As British Bulldog said they were all over the place at 100 yards in both rifles.

• 2 weeks later...

im going to give them a try in my 1 in 12 twist. i have heard good things about them

Hi mate, yeah I heard the same but will still try ten rounds at least. See what happens. Lol. My father in law has a 1 in 12 ruger and might load a few for him to try there. Let me know how you get on please.

CZ

Hi mate, yeah I heard the same but will still try ten rounds at least. See what happens. Lol. My father in law has a 1 in 12 ruger and might load a few for him to try there. Let me know how you get on please.

CZ

i will do mate. they should scream out of my rpa with a good dose of imr 4007ssc behind them. i just hope there consistent as the last lot of 50 grain vmax

where poor. nostler on the other hand are superb. even when taking a oal to the tip there very consistant

• 3 weeks later...

i will do mate. they should scream out of my rpa with a good dose of imr 4007ssc behind them. i just hope there consistent as the last lot of 50 grain vmax

where poor. nostler on the other hand are superb. even when taking a oal to the tip there very consistant

Hiya guys

Been a member on here for quite a while, have hardly ever posted, but this one caught my eye and I felt I needed to respond.

I too have been wondering about the effectiveness of the new 53 grain vmax in a 22/250. I have a savage LRPV with a one in 12 twist barrel so thought I might be in with a chance and am I glad I did. Lapua brass rl17 powder, remmy 7.5 primer gave me 3850 fps and the best 3 shot groups I have ever shot. Two successive groups shot from a cold clean barrel were both sub .20 inch. I haven't had chance to try it beyond 100 yds due to the poor weather. Anyone interested in the exact loads can pm me for further details.

Regards

Simon

Archived