Breaking in an HMR barrel

Millwall Paul

This might be a stupid question but whats the best way to break in a 17 HMR barrel please? I have always cleaned the barrel first then done shoot 1, clean for the first five then shoot 2, clean for 10 rounds then shoot 5, clean for anothe 10 rounds. This was on my fullbore rifles but wondered if it was a different process for a rimmy as I've never got one from new before.

Thanks in advance.

Paul

This might be a stupid question but whats the best way to break in a 17 HMR barrel please? I have always cleaned the barrel first then done shoot 1, clean for the first five then shoot 2, clean for 10 rounds then shoot 5, clean for anothe 10 rounds. This was on my fullbore rifles but wondered if it was a different process for a rimmy as I've never got one from new before.

Thanks in advance.

Paul

Load it, shoot it, enjoy it.

As said, just go shoot stuff.

I just pull a boresnake through mine before putting it back inthe cabinet so it keeps it's zero but removes the powder residue that attracts moisture.

Mine settled down after about 3-400 rounds through it and have heard others say the same, don't know if there is a procedure to speed things up though.

Rup

German Salazar, a member of this forum and author of the 'Rifleman' Blog, has a very extensive and authoritative chapter on his blog about barrel break-in. I did not know it then, and did follow the original instruction of 'shoot and clean' for about 60-70 rounds for my HMR.

best wishes,

Finman

Archived