Which scope?

between the eyes

Guys, I have taken the plunge and ordered a 6.5 x 47 for general use, but I also want to start doing some long range stuff, mainly rabbits with the odd charlie thrown in for good measure, I have been challenged to a bunny bashing day at a mates up to 1000 yards! I will also be using the rifle for short range general use too, stalking, foxing etc. So which scope should I go for? What would you use? I am on a fairly limited budget but will go for a used one if one is available at some time, I could get to about £800.00 if need be, so what should I look for? :wacko:

Thanks in advance.

Andy.

From experience I will buy the following again:-

IOR- I have owened and still own IOR optics which are amazing. My only current IOR is on my stalking rifle 4-14x50. Paralax free point and shoot to 300 yards. But my 3-18x42 was great and regret selling.

Nightforce- I have a 5.5-22x50 and a 8-32x56 they track and look great.

But S&B are the be all and end all.

Its all about the $

You'll get a new 8-32x56 Sightron for that money. I have one on my 308 which I use for 1000yd and beyond. Sisnipe has one on his 6.5-47 which he shoots bunnies at extended range.

I reckon the glass has the edge over nightfoce at half the price

No experience with Sightron but a second-hand Nightforce NXS 5-22x56 or 8-32x56 would seem to fit the bill for the money.

As it happens I have been testing a big S&B 50x against a 42x NXS. The short version is the S&B has much better depth of field, FOV and contrast though it gets greyish over 35x. However resolution is the same for both scopes when resolving bullet holes in black paper at 300m. Both scopes offer a different feature set - eg S&B close focus, NXS has nicer turret clicks etc.

David.

I am going for a Sightron, but cant make up my mind for a 6-24 or 8-32, not much difference in price between the two but quality of glass is very good, take a look at the AIM FIELD SPORTS site.

Tony.

Sightron gets my vote in that price bracket.

I run S&Bs but V.Expensive!

My son has a Sightron 8-32 and its GREAT!

I am going for a Sightron, but cant make up my mind for a 6-24 or 8-32, not much difference in price between the two but quality of glass is very good, take a look at the AIM FIELD SPORTS site.

Tony.

Personally I would go for the 6-24 , people get too hung up on massive mag (same with bino's) the glass quality and reticule is of more importance within reason at most ranges, unless you fancy trying to shoot mice at a mile !

i have just bought a sightron new tactical turrets 6-24-50 sits on top of my 20tac very good scope and have shot a few foxes at night with it no problems at all the big s+b scope 12-5-50x56 sits on top of my .260 again great scope but doing a different job depends on what you want it for and also there is a big difference in price.

Thanks gents, I will have a good look at the sightron, I'm in no rush as the rifle will be a few months before it arrives. Gives me good time to hopefully make the right decision. :wacko:

Got a Leupold Mark 4 6.5-20 x 50 illuminated tmr boxed as new . Looking for £900 and have a set of leupold qrw rings i'd throw in aswell, if your interested.

Many thanks Matt

Archived