Burning it at both ends

dannyt

Is it me or is there a shed load more foxes about this year ,we have not had all the wheat down yet and ive already has 17 foxes on my shoot since the harvest started, with rifle and snare , Ive got my Partrides out now and iam gettig around 3/4 hours kip a day at the moment ,iam getting to old for this lark.

I went out after the rain stopped last night got 1 saw no others , back up the high seats at 4.55 shot a big cub by 5.20 this morning , And i know of another 4 OR 5 to get hold of.

If this keeps up i will be over 30 charlies in a month .

Whats happening in the rest of the UK for you Gamekeeping and fox controling fellas

Good going Danny, don't tire yourself out too much before Diggle :lol:

Not done much fox control this year but going to stick my nose out next week as the combines are busy rolling with us.

Cheers

Dave

Is it me or is there a shed load more foxes about this year ,we have not had all the wheat down yet and ive already has 17 foxes on my shoot since the harvest started, with rifle and snare , Ive got my Partrides out now and iam gettig around 3/4 hours kip a day at the moment ,iam getting to old for this lark.

I went out after the rain stopped last night got 1 saw no others , back up the high seats at 4.55 shot a big cub by 5.20 this morning , And i know of another 4 OR 5 to get hold of.

If this keeps up i will be over 30 charlies in a month .

Whats happening in the rest of the UK for you Gamekeeping and fox controling fellas

Dave get out there , and get some Ginger in your life !!!

Hi Danny, I hope you're well.

I don't go past midnight these days, not unless I really have to or I'm having ones of those really good nights when every fox is out and feeling obliging, I just can't take the 5.30 start the next morning.

The secret is to get them in March and April, prevention being better than cure. This way I get go out the door at 6pm and be back by 10pm and not have to worry about the early start.

Hi Ian iam well thanks , your right about the spring clean out of foxes , this helps alot . we had 4 litters and all adults with them but we just cant bottom the cubs this harvest at this point .

the next door shoot has had a fair few aswell but after that we are the only game rearing shoot for about 4 miles north south and east .There is a real increase in fox numbers in Norfolk , lets face it they are not going to be short of food on any land (rabbits hares game birds rodents)in every corner of the county .

It must be the lack of vermin control now.

I know Holkholm hardly had a fox on 29000 acres at one point , now they have plenty of work on to keep em down, looks like the furry Taliban has hit sleepy Norfolk for good.

Ive worked on some wild partridge shoots in the past which ran up to Thetford forest 50,000 acres of fox heaven and we could keep a grip on the flow there.

but the open farmland areas now seem to hold just as many foxes as the wooded areas, Oh well better keep the ammo bunker well stocked .

Hope to see you soon at the Range Ian, Have a good season .

Well just got in from foxing , sept 1st went out at 10 finished 1.45 saw 9 foxes shot seven for seven shot ,so happy with the stait shooting (thanks to richard and paul for the help).

we dont lamp much just use NV .

August finished with 25 foxes killed , September isnt looking any better , we keep finding new foxes coming in about every 7/10 days .

The part of the shoot we are picking up the most at the moment has had no cubs this year at all in earths , total ground covered is about 3500 acres so we have lots of space for more foxes to arrive on . Some of the rest of you fellas must be gettin into some by now , how are your numbers killed up or down on other years ?.

off to bed now early start as ever in the morning.

just as matter of intrest to any body cals used ,22br ,6mmbr ,243ack ,6mmslr.

scopes used , longbow, d560 i think thats wot its called envis and another mono spotter thingy. we use callers some times to draw foxes in within range but try not to over call.

(Wild life tech i think is the best one )

checking for activety as most Keepers will do goes in the way of looking around puddles and fresh drilled fields for feeting , lookig for the usual droppings and sents. I havent had a great deal of fox work before the harvest as i have seen very little activety in any areas that you might expect. i wouldent goes as far as saying these foxes have been dumped out , but there turning up at a hell of a rate . We have just finished all corn fields cut today on the shoot with only one fox being moved out of 2000 acres of cut corn and rape . Some keepers are coming to the idea that foxes are useing earths close to rape fields to have cubs due to the cover provided later in the year, i dont know my self but with 94%of foxes taken this harvest being vixens there is plenty of breeding power there .

August finished with 25 foxes killed , September isnt looking any better , we keep finding new foxes coming in about every 7/10 days .

The part of the shoot we are picking up the most at the moment has had no cubs this year at all in earths , total ground covered is about 3500 acres so we have lots of space for more foxes to arrive on . Some of the rest of you fellas must be gettin into some by now , how are your numbers killed up or down on other years ?.

off to bed now early start as ever in the morning.

A good result Danny, your probably finding an increased mumber of foxes in that previous quiet cub free area because the parents are kicking cubs out, they are looking for territories of their own and are simply filling a vacuum.

Keep up the good work and see you at Diggle.

Cheers

Dave

A good result Danny, your probably finding an increased mumber of foxes in that previous quiet cub free area because the parents are kicking cubs out, they are looking for territories of their own and are simply filling a vacuum.

Keep up the good work and see you at Diggle.

Cheers

Dave

I think you right Dave , we start to get adult foxes calling and running in pairs as early as November with a flush of mainly Dog foxes turning up on fresh ground wich has no or little fox activety from mid to late October through till January , one of the very tightly keepered shoots in the area has had a lot of trade this way in past years . There are Three keepers on that shoot and have a very high English partidge count per acre , these boys are very hard on the vermin all year and tend to have delt with the foxes well before breeding takes place . So there is no local population that stays for more than a week or two.

I think a lot of small farms of say 200,300 acres must hold a fair few foxes through the spring and summer , and after harvest they thin out to the rest of the areas around them .

It would be nice to have a good idea of how many foxes are taken via shooting activetys in a year in our county , i dont no if any body has tried to gather this information any were.

2 more foxes shot this morning great morning to be out at first light , temp around 13 deg c very warm for the time of year . These two grown cubs were sleeping on some old round hay bales on the boundry of the shoot , fast asleep so i didnt wake em Boom.

Foxshot.

I wish they were here I have a few frenchmen out so thats why iam after them at the moment. There just seems to be a huge rise in numbers on ground that seems to not have held many foxes in the past.

Ps you can have some of mine if you are getting bored

Archived