30 cal cuts

ejg223

The law doesnt just say hollow point, it says " designed to expand reliably in a controlled manner" there are no manufacturers who would back you up on using Match/ target bullets, so you would end up on your own.

Why call people names because they dont agree with your point of view?

You do what you do and take resposibility for it and if your getting clean humane kills thats fine, I am not aware of any prosecutions for using "wrong bullets" , I think it would only come about if a wounded animal ran into the road or someones property and questions were then asked as to why etc, but it hasnt happened to my knowledge.

Redfox

Silent soul

I must assume that you are a recent convert to deer shooting and as such inexperienced.

It is also seems obvious that your outburst above, which is for me both both unnecessary and unwelcome, indicates a lack of understanding and tolerance as well as a great lack of experience. Please use personal experience to further the cause rather than hearsay when talking about the use of 'any' bullet for a purpose for which it was not designed.

I have that experience - in small measure - for some of the examples you state and there is no way I will ever condone their usage on UK deer (I am equally loathe to use some of them on fox).

I have seen first hand the meat damage they can do as well as the damage fragments can do well away from the point of impact. These fragments can leave animals severely wounded needing a time wasting follow up simply because of the arrogance of the shooter concerned. This is equally applicable to the use of 100gr SP in 243 in some rifles where the bullet has a tendency to tumble.

UK law may or may not be sufficiently specific in most aspects of its wording - shooting included - but if we all try to stay within the spirit of the law rather than always trying to be the odd one out then shooting and shooters may well be better respected by the public at large.

Silent soul

I must assume that you are a recent convert to deer shooting and as such inexperienced.

It is also seems obvious that your outburst above, which is for me both both unnecessary and unwelcome, indicates a lack of understanding and tolerance as well as a great lack of experience. Please use personal experience to further the cause rather than hearsay when talking about the use of 'any' bullet for a purpose for which it was not designed.

I have that experience - . This is equally applicable to the use of 100gr SP in 243 in some rifles where the bullet has a tendency to tumble.

Oh dear somebody who assumes too much

You dont know me so dont assume

how can you possibly know how much deer or big game I have shot??????????????????or experience with ballistics?????????????????????????????????/

tell me why berger now advertise their VLD's as a hunting round???????????surely their experience is far greater than your or mine

great lack of experience OOOOOO thats a nice dig, well I am not a keyboard warrior so it doesnt offend me but just makes me smile

cant you read? I stated I have shot many deer using hornady's A-max that they also recomend for hunting :P:P:lol:

Now Now,

didn't want to start a quibble with this thread.

It was more out of technical interest and observations.

For example that forever quest of some hunters and bullet

manufacturers to create a bullet that penetrates deeper and

produces less meat damage. I personally think that in some

cases they've gone over the top. Next step would be the iron core FMJ.

These tough bullets might be fine if one always goes for the shoulder.

I don't mind having a bit of dogs meat with my deer and prefer to anchor them.

edi

No need for any sorry M,

you mentioned a while back that you had a write up on VLD's

used on game. Would you be able to e-mail that to me?

Anyway got my hands on some 165Nos Bt's and loaded a few.

They print nice at 100yds but I would like to test them at 300

just to get faith. We're out for a stalk this eve, need to decide

sst or vld or bt. Good thing is all have just about same POI.

Most inconsitant are the sst, if we would have the option of

body shots that would be fine, but very often we see the animals

in high grass with only head neck visible.

edi

No need for any sorry M,

you mentioned a while back that you had a write up on VLD's

used on game. Would you be able to e-mail that to me?

Anyway got my hands on some 165Nos Bt's and loaded a few.

They print nice at 100yds but I would like to test them at 300

just to get faith. We're out for a stalk this eve, need to decide

sst or vld or bt. Good thing is all have just about same POI.

Most inconsitant are the sst, if we would have the option of

body shots that would be fine, but very often we see the animals

in high grass with only head neck visible.

edi

I will send the article but VLD really are not suitable for neck shots - if used on game they need a pelt resistance of at least Fallow as they are proving to be a soft tissue bullet but with a need for initial expansion from thicker pelt resistance. They penetrate then expand quite significantly an inch or two under the skin and carry on to carve quite a channel. The article will describe it far more adequately than I.

I still find B/Tip (Hunting) to be perfectly good for neck shots and use them extensively in 25, 30 and 8mm for neck shooting Fallow. Range has little effect on performance.

That being said I have been trying some 220gr Sierra Gameking (8mm) and am impressed at the expansion/retained weight of these on neck shot Fallow so am trying them in other weights and cals I haven't used previously.

Have to say I really understand the dilema of some hunters who want match accuracy from their expanding bullets - sometimes there really is no decent compromise.

However, without entering into the match / sect 5 debate or adding to the obvious deep seated views I use almost exclusively this bullet for all my deer control:

DSCN0490.jpg

Yup Barnes TSX

L to R 150g BT (30cal), 140g BT (7mm), 130g FB (6.5mm)

DSCN0489.jpg

They may be expensive - and relatively speaking they are at about 50p per pop, but once you have sorted an accurate load and THEN played with the seat depth to make them more accurate, i'll lay odds you wont use anything else.

The load below (6.5x284 - 130 TSX) will shoot, .3" - .4" groups every time, MV 2900 fps and drop at 300 is 11" where its printing just under an inch.

DSCN0493.jpg

Try the Barnes if you get chance, you may be pleasantly surprised.

Other alternative is Ltz Moeller lathe turned beauties, and similar price at 140 euro / 100 delivered. But they are restricted weights available.

Have to say I really understand the dilema of some hunters who want match accuracy from their expanding bullets - sometimes there really is no decent compromise.

However, without entering into the match / sect 5 debate or adding to the obvious deep seated views I use almost exclusively this bullet for all my deer control:

DSCN0490.jpg

Yup Barnes TSX

L to R 150g BT (30cal), 140g BT (7mm), 130g FB (6.5mm)

DSCN0489.jpg

They may be expensive - and relatively speaking they are at about 50p per pop, but once you have sorted an accurate load and THEN played with the seat depth to make them more accurate, i'll lay odds you wont use anything else.

The load below (6.5x284 - 130 TSX) will shoot, .3" - .4" groups every time, MV 2900 fps and drop at 300 is 11" where its printing just under an inch.

DSCN0493.jpg

Try the Barnes if you get chance, you may be pleasantly surprised.

Other alternative is Ltz Moeller lathe turned beauties, and similar price at 140 euro / 100 delivered. But they are restricted weights available.

Thanks for that insight Ronin!!!!! ;):lol:

Shall try them in my 6.5-284!!!!! :lol: :lol:

Does reloading solutions keep stock of them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All the very best..............

RAY................................. :lol: :lol:

Thanks for that insight Ronin!!!!! ;):lol:

Shall try them in my 6.5-284!!!!! :lol::lol:

Does reloading solutions keep stock of them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All the very best..............

RAY................................. :lol::lol:

hi ray

i think they do. (reloading solutions) 01865378200

but all so York guns 01904487180

ATB

Colin :D

hi ray

i think they do. (reloading solutions) 01865378200

but all so York guns 01904487180

ATB

Colin :lol:

As aways Colin , thankyou for you help ,its most appreciated!!!!!!!!!! :lol:;)

All the best fella...............

RAY................................. :lol: :lol:

Ray

if you do get some 130 TSX's for the "284", I found that 47g of H4350 works best seated .040" off the lands.

Just checked my data this load gives MV of 2854 fps in single digit ES.

So far its levelled everything they have entered (and exited) have yet to recover one.....

As always bud, safe in my rifle, work up to it ;)

Ray

if you do get some 130 TSX's for the "284", I found that 47g of H4350 works best seated .040" off the lands.

So far its levelled everything they have entered (and exited) have yet to recover one.....

hi

a chap on here has one that he dug out of a giraffe and we put it on the scales, it actually weighed heavier than when it started :lol::lol::lol:

he has not boiled the bullet out yet as there is meat and well you know the rest left behind the petals.

they have excellent weight retention, about 95% i think.

if its still on offer they used to do a free DVD of the merits of there bullets,

http://www.barnesbullets.com/

ATB

Colin :lol:

Guest varmartin

Quote...

a chap on here has one that he dug out of a giraffe and we put it on the scales, it actually weighed heavier than when it started :lol::lol:

thats why the kids were pissed off at longleat this year ;):lol:

Martin

Ray

Hi buddy thanks for that!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol:

All the very best........................

RAY.......................................... :lol: :lol:

Quote...

a chap on here has one that he dug out of a giraffe and we put it on the scales, it actually weighed heavier than when it started :o:o

thats why the kids were pissed off at longleat this year ;):lol:

Martin

Nice one martyn!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Speak soon fella.....................

All the best.....................

RAY.................................. :D :D

Guest 308Panther
Quote...

a chap on here has one that he dug out of a giraffe and we put it on the scales, it actually weighed heavier than when it started ;):D

thats why the kids were pissed off at longleat this year ;);)

Martin

You mean to tell me someone actually "hunted" the Zoo's Giraffe???

Boy,what some guys will do just for a pelt!!!!

308Panther

last years trip to SA there were some americans staying at the hunt next to ours and one of them out of the blue decided to shoot a long neck and it ran.

I cant remember the cost of it but he had to pay for two days helicopter to find it, the hire of two vehicles and one lorry and then had to sort out what he was going to do with it

it cost him a few years of his pocket money in the end and he wished he hadnt got trigger happy

last years trip to SA there were some americans staying at the hunt next to ours and one of them out of the blue decided to shoot a long neck and it ran.

I cant remember the cost of it but he had to pay for two days helicopter to find it, the hire of two vehicles and one lorry and then had to sort out what he was going to do with it

it cost him a few years of his pocket money in the end and he wished he hadnt got trigger happy

this one was part of the cull package,so it was all in on the price, :D personally I'm not sure if i would like to shoot one or not ;) but one things for sure, i would not want to shoot one at a zoo ;);):D

ATB

Colin :D

Archived