My 1st Comp at Blair Atholl

Hi all just had my first ever rifle comp at Blair Atholl in the SGA (Scottish gamekeepers Association) anual rifle shoot. You need a team of three & have your individual score & team score for team shoot & individual prize with top prize a barrel fitted by callum ferguson. The weather was great very hot & little wind & lovely views. There was some very nice rifles & a few target shooting lads there so i was a little worried with the class of the shooters there. Every body was nice & i had to share my 22.250 with my two friends as one had put his rifle into grant taylor to be rebarreld & the other couldent get match ammo in time. I was limited as i could only get 100 52g A-MAX & still had to load develope the round so managed to pick up some 52g HPBT to test & kinda play with. So on limited rounds i played a bit & had same POI with the two rounds so loaded the 52g A-MAX in my new lapua cases & kept them for the 200/300yrd & the milk bottle & clay at 400yrd. We had a fox mask with target on it that came up for 3sec & we had 5 shots at this then a roe target off sticks for 5 shots & a 1" sticker that they called the stoat for 1 shot lying down. Then we moved to 200yrd for 1 sighter & 5 shots then same at 300yrd but got the electric screen to look at your shot these were great & last at 400yrd a 2pint milk bottle (plastic) & a standard clay with 1 shot for each.

I won the fox shoot with 20points & had 3 bulls worth 10points & 2 9pointer shots at the roe & got 5points for the hit on stoat so quite consistent.

At the 200yrd i was in the third line after my mates heated my rifle i got every bullet just out the bull so scored good again & my mate who shot second got the sighter & all 5 shots in the bull the only to do at this range that day.

Back at 300yrd was great loved the screen to check shot & the 3 of us all shot very well.

At 400yrd we were in line 5,6 & me 7 so saw alot of shooters consistently high so i opted to drop to 4MOA rather than 4.8MOA as my phone told me. My 1st mate got bottle & clay then the next got bottle & missed clay then me. I was a bit confuzed with the bottles as there was a loner & asked if we forget that & start on the 4-5 bottles together & told yes but take second from right so i hit bottle to be told wrong 1 so i disputed this & after 1min of tak was backed up & given the hit so i settled for the clay only to just miss it dam but great fun. Once my bolt out & barrel checked clear i packed up & took my kit to car as i shot 1st in line 7 & left the other 4 to shoot. we gatherd to find out how the day had gone to be told the my mates & i had won the team shoot with a shield a SGA tie a calander & a bottle of bells WOO HOO we were stuned i new we shot well but ww couldent beleave it. Last years winners came second for the team shoot so they are good & done well. So i new that between us 1 of us must have won individual prize of a barrel to be told out loud infront of everyone that they have now decided to take my milk bittle off so because of that i came second & lost top individual i was gutted & not to happy but won a pair of harkila pro-hunter gtx boots so hay but still a bit peeved with the bottle taken from me. So thanks to my team & Grant Taylor for rebarreling my rifle so good & my great homeloading cheers grant cant wait to get my mates 6.5x284 now when you finish & melt his rifle cheers.

DSC06930.jpg

DSC06932.jpg

well done Barry were you using IOR

Hi Barry no the IOR was away but back i hope to get it on wedensday from border. I was using my brothers NF which did the job well & there was a couple IOR scopes being used. I am very gutted at being striped of points & missing out on the fitted & proofed barrel fae callum ferg but will just have to go for it next year & i suppose the harkila pro-hunter gtx boots is agood second prize.

Cheers all for you congrats

• 2 weeks later...

well done bruv!!!!!

ill come see you when get back from this hell hole desert next week.. kettle on see this shield you have !!

tell genisis and the other guy well done too for me

hey never mind but the milk bottle......for a 1st attempt at long ranges than our usual stalking stuff you did good ...as did others

and their is always next year and you can start practicing this longer range stuff from now till then.......

just have to make sure and clarify exactly which boittle they want so they canna change their minds!!!!

well done min

sauer /paul

Archived