Tikka t3

bri2506

Can you do anything with a t3 trigger. Just been testing some loads with a it and scope was useless and you need a 2 lb lump hammer to set it off. A serious losing battle. I backed it off as much as possible but it's still unuseable. Cheers Keith

Bri,

It's easy to adjust; but as with all things; if you mess with it, you do it at your own risk.

Key thing is to make sure after whatever you've taken it on yourself to change, that you can repeatedly slam the bolt home without the trigger tripping itself - and that you can bump the cocked rifle hard on the butt and drop it or bump it on the sides of the action also without it tripping itself; if it trips even once you've gone dangerously light and must put the trigger back to a heavier setting at which it can survive the slam and bump tests without tripping.

This was advice I was given:

WARNING! Do this at your own risk. I assume no liability.

Under normal circumstances, the large allen screw that holds the trigger assembly to the action stops the adjustment screw at about 2 lbs. The trigger can be lightened additionally TO A POINT by grinding away a little material on the allen screw to allow the adjustment screw to come out further.

NOTE: you MUST insure that there is still sear tension or you could get a AD. Back off the screw slowly. Be conservative. Test as you go.

I attacked it a slightly different (much easier!) way:

Rather than grinding the big hold-the-trigger-assembly-to-the-rifle allen bolt; I took the small adjustment screw out and flat-filed about 0.25mm off the end. It now unscrews hard against the big allen bolt head (further than it did when un-filed) and is held firmly there - I didn't have the courage to skim any more metal off!

I'm really pleased with the improvement. I now have a light crisp single stage that survives all the bump tests.

Disclaimer: I've made you aware of the safety concerns; whether you follow the trigger adjustment method described or not is entirely your call; and it is at all times up to you, and you alone, to decide whether your rifle is safe to be operated.

Thanks for that I'll take it easy on it. I do like a light trigger but this thing is bad. Last time a felt one as bad as this was on an old BSA meteor that was nearly rusted solid.

Thanks for that I'll take it easy on it. I do like a light trigger but this thing is bad. Last time a felt one as bad as this was on an old BSA meteor that was nearly rusted solid.

Simple screw adjuster on trigger.

Mine is a standard T3 trigger and it pulls at a crisp safe 1.75lbs. To be honest You cant expect better from a factory rifle at what a T3 costs.

Dave

Most Tikka triggers are really sweet.

The 590, 595, through to T3 varients are all similar units and with proper cleaning regime should give years of trouble free use.

The only ajustment is to unwind the sping pressure screw at the front of the unit, it has an inbuilt safety limit in that you can only unwind it untill it interfers with the mounting bolt.

There are lighter spring rates available from a guy in the USA, but at 2lbs (average ajusted) do you really want to go less...

If the trigger on the T3 is so bad, I suggest flushing it with brake cleaner and stripping / polishing the sears (if they are rusted) - poor maintainence .....?

Sounds like you have a faulty trigger on the Tikka, i should quit fiddling on the adjustment front personally and find out whats amiss with it. I can fault the T3 on alsorts but not a poor trigger, most are nice and crisp at 3lb or so from the box

Archived