204 twist options

Any 20 cal users.

A friend of mine is having a 204 built - with a Pacnor 12 twist tube.

He is planning on shooting only 39 grn Blitz king - ( nothing else )

After abit of reading , he has heard alot of good points and the odd worrying thing. :wacko:

One conern is that some people have claimed stability problems using a 12 twist with 39 grn BK's

I have no experience of this cal - Can any body shed any light if this is true or not. B)

Also what would be the best twist to get if not 1 in 12.

Thanks

Alan

I’m just getting rid of a 204.

It has a Pacnor SS Super Match barrel with a 3 groove 1:12 twist.

I shoot nothing but 40grn Berger’s or 40grn V Max. It shoots 5 round groups into .18 and .21 respectively.

I tried 39grn Sierra but they didn’t shoot worth a damn. The quality control is not up to Berger IMHO. They did stabilize no problem.

Hope this helps.

Cheers.

ALAN-hows tricks?never keen on the 204 ruger due to the brass -i went tact20 to use the 223 lapua match brass and i worked a treat a very accurate rifle -if i was doing it again and some time i will i would go either 20br or 20ppc,to take advantage of the inherantly accurate cartridges and lapua brass,i dont think the overall cost of these would be a alot more than 204 ruger but the advantages far out weigh the costs,as you told me once when i wanted to buy some nv"buy once cry once"and that still holds true.

Think the preferred twist for the 39 SBK is 1 in 11, however I can get them in the .3s with a 1 in 9 ok. If the info is not on teh Sierra website then I am sure an e mail pr call to them would sort it.

http://www.sierrabullets.com/index.cfm?section=techservice&page=ballistictech

A

Mine (.204Ruger) is a standard 1:12 Sako Varmint barrel and shoots the 39gn SBK in the .15s all day. Never had any luck with Bergers (35gn) or 40gn VMax. The 32gn Vmax is good and accurate, but not a patch on the 39gn SBK at longer ranges and wind doping.

each barrel has its quirks I guess...

best wishes,

Finman

You seem to have a gem there Finman. 5 rounds into .15 all day! You should compete in UKBR factory rifle class. Someone correct me, but I believe you’re only .017 off the UK record. That was a Sako as well. Look after it... that’s a keeper.

ATB.

You seem to have a gem there Finman. 5 rounds into .15 all day! You should compete in UKBR factory rifle class. Someone correct me, but I believe you’re only .017 off the UK record. That was a Sako as well. Look after it... that’s a keeper.

ATB.

Thanks achosenman...Don't know about records, I still can manage to miss a fox at 120yds...I seem to pull this photo every time this is mentioned, as 'the pudding'

204no2.jpg

I don't intend to sell or change anything on it, this is the first 3 shots after being dropped (not bedded) in the A5. I must have had luck with this one, but then again, I have been lucky with Sakos :)

best wishes,

Finman

That shows real promise Finman.

Unfortunately I misunderstood what you meant. I don’t believe 3 rounds counts as a group in UKBR...pull the trigger some more mate ;)

I don’t know why I keep forgetting shooters tend to shoot three rounds.

The Sako is (despite what many would care to admit) capable of excellent accuracy out of the box. Here is a 5 round group with a standard Sako 75 varmint in 223 Rem The compass point hole dead centre is to allow the target to be indexed so the computerised target analysis program can do its magic.

FWIW I have never matched that with any custom built rifle that I used subsequently. It’s only now I realise how good that rifle was…and I sold it to a mate. :unsure:

Back on topic, the 204 with a 1:12 or faster barrel should shoot anything up to 40grn without too much drama. Modern bullets tend to be a much higher quality than that of 20 years or so ago. Dispersion due to faster than required twist rates is not so much of a problem nowadays. Anyway IMHO barrels are like tyres, they wear out and that’s an opportunity to change the specs with the benefit of hindsight.

ATB

Thanks achosenman...Don't know about records, I still can manage to miss a fox at 120yds...I seem to pull this photo every time this is mentioned, as 'the pudding'

204no2.jpg

I don't intend to sell or change anything on it, this is the first 3 shots after being dropped (not bedded) in the A5. I must have had luck with this one, but then again, I have been lucky with Sakos :)

best wishes,

Finman

Nice shooting that, if you want a go at 100BR at Bisley the shoots are the second Sunday of the month on the Short Siberia Range, 9am for a 10 am comp start. You shoot what you bring, most shoot wildcats as well as dedicated BR PPC rigs. Good bunch of lads.

A

• 1 month later...

Just sold a semi custom 204 with a heavy pacnor barrel fitted with a 1 in 11 twist and shoots 39 gr blitz kings,40gr vmax with out any problems

thx mark......

• 3 weeks later...
Guest richness

Alan, he'll be OK with a 1/12. Indeed I actually have a Pacnor 1/12 and it loves the 40gr bullets.

I would recommend the Nosler 40gr bullets over all else. Their BC is understated (or the vmax and SBKs are overstated) and the consistency of them is truly remarkable. Furthermore, they can be bought in bulk packs of 250 fro £43 which is excellent.

My RPA with Pacnor 1/12 loves them at 1.931" to the ogive over 28.0gr RL15 in Norma brass or 28.2gr RL15 in Nosler Custom. BR4s. Accuracy is below .5" at 235y which does the job! Speeds are a little hot at 3900+ but it's so accurate I don't really care.

If he wants to go into the 50gr range, he'll need a faster twist but I see no attraction in going to those bullets.

regards, Richard :)

Guest richness

I've got a reme vssf II .204 with 1 in 12 but really doesn't like the 40gr's but spot on with 32gr's. I was thinking about a custom .204 with a 1 in 10 twist specifically for the 40gr's, would this be wise? It sounds as if 1 in 11 is the optimum twist.

Match barrels in 1/12 tend to be better but yes 1/11 is absolutely perfect mate

Got a 20tac with a 1 in 11 Lilja that loves Vmax 32 or 40 but doesn't like Sierra's at all. Never tried the Nosler's but might give them a go. Having had a few rifles built I think you need to build the rifle and see what IT likes, sometimes you can plan all you like and end up with a different bullet altogether. I'd go 1 in 11 cause it'll shoot 32 right up to 45 grains, may as well give yourself the widest possible choice.

Archived