6BR vs 22BR

Mossy-dog

What would the performance difference be between a 6BR and a .22BR if you were running them both with the smae weight bullet, say ~70gn?

The 6BR would be deer legal (south of the border at least) but would they both have similar performance over say 400yds in relation to velocity, drop and drift. The .22 would have a better bc but over that sort of range would it make a difference?

I would have thought that the velocity would be pretty similar?

What would you actually gain with the .22 apart from not being able to shoot deer(apart from munties and roe in scotland)

Dan

The 22BR interests me considerably, but I come from a varmint-hunting perspective, not interested in hunting deer. Out to 400 yards or so I suggest the difference between your two chamberings wouldn't be hugely significant, though at longer range it would. For me, the big advantage of the .22 version (I've briefly considered the 6mm, since I know it's an excellent chambering) is its flatter trajectory, when using (as I would) the 75gr A-Max, and its competence out to at least 500-600 yards or beyond in good hands; and the comparative ease of getting it certificated for vermin/fox/livestock protection, compared with anything in 6mm. IME if you want something that launches bullets bigger than .224" plod will insist it should be for deer (or whatever) and they might grant you secondary use for vermin etc - though that's uncertain and could be hedged about with restrictions. I know others' experience in this department varies but this is what I've always understood to be the case with Devon & Cornwall plod, who are less bastardly and awkward than some other forces.

Yup, I'd love to have a 22BR varmint rifle and it's one of the select chamberings on my wish-list. If I was sufficiently keen about hunting deer I'd get something specifically for that, very likely in 7mm-08 which I've always liked.

Dunno if this helps - Tony

MOSSY iv just got rid of my 6br but still have my 22br the 6br shot the 75gn vmax into nice tight groups out to 300yds lethal on charlie but not a lot left if shooting bunnys,i dont shoot deer so cant comment.i hve a custon 22br that shoots the 40gn bk like a laser out to 300yds but is prone to wind i dont need to shoot further,

best bullet though is the 50gn vmax this will shoot under3/4" 5 shots@ 200yds i zero at 1.5"high at 100yds its a point and squirt job on charlie.when i shot then side by side on paper they both yielded the same results to 200yds,the 6br with the correct bullet will outshine the 22br past300yds and beyond and can be deer legal.

The 22BR interests me considerably, but I come from a varmint-hunting perspective, not interested in hunting deer. Out to 400 yards or so I suggest the difference between your two chamberings wouldn't be hugely significant, though at longer range it would. For me, the big advantage of the .22 version (I've briefly considered the 6mm, since I know it's an excellent chambering) is its flatter trajectory, when using (as I would) the 75gr A-Max, and its competence out to at least 500-600 yards or beyond in good hands; and the comparative ease of getting it certificated for vermin/fox/livestock protection, compared with anything in 6mm. IME if you want something that launches bullets bigger than .224" plod will insist it should be for deer (or whatever) and they might grant you secondary use for vermin etc - though that's uncertain and could be hedged about with restrictions. I know others' experience in this department varies but this is what I've always understood to be the case with Devon & Cornwall plod, who are less bastardly and awkward than some other forces.

Yup, I'd love to have a 22BR varmint rifle and it's one of the select chamberings on my wish-list. If I was sufficiently keen about hunting deer I'd get something specifically for that, very likely in 7mm-08 which I've always liked.

Dunno if this helps - Tony

Just a note windage and longer range fox control comes under home office guidelines for fox control with 6mm it needn't have deer in all cases. But individual cases and areas can be harder to negociate such a useage

• 2 months later...

Windy night take 6BR loaded with 68-70s. I used my 6mm recently to take a couple of foxes, I had forgotten how good a job a 65gr Vmax does. Last two with 20BR were well over 200 yards and showed little damage externally from the 39gr SBK.

If you are thinking which one to go for then 6BR will be more versatile and easier to move on if and when to want a change.

A

Archived