Another price disparity UK - USA

TonyH

Well worn subject by now, but I had another example of a considerable difference in pricing. My old Rocky Outbacks (see pic) are still very comfy, best boots I ever had though they've lost their waterproof qualities - Gortex must have worn out. Pretty good, considering I got them from Cabela's in 1997 (via my brother in California), and I want to replace them with new Rockies. I asked Rocky in the US if they had a UK distributor, thinking that although they'd be more expensive it might still be quicker & easier than waiting 'til I'm over there again. They said yes, I looked at the UK distributor's site - there was just one type listed, at £145, and the same boot lists at Cabela's and Gander Mountain at $130 = £80....

I dare say the usual factors explain this huge difference, but the fact remains that I won't pay that kind of price hike - I expect to be over there next year varmint hunting in Ontario again, so my usual trip over the border to the Detroit area will see me adding boots to my shopping list.

Tony

Well worn subject by now, but I had another example of a considerable difference in pricing. My old Rocky Outbacks (see pic) are still very comfy, best boots I ever had though they've lost their waterproof qualities - Gortex must have worn out. Pretty good, considering I got them from Cabela's in 1997 (via my brother in California), and I want to replace them with new Rockies. I asked Rocky in the US if they had a UK distributor, thinking that although they'd be more expensive it might still be quicker & easier than waiting 'til I'm over there again. They said yes, I looked at the UK distributor's site - there was just one type listed, at £145, and the same boot lists at Cabela's and Gander Mountain at $130 = £80....

I dare say the usual factors explain this huge difference, but the fact remains that I won't pay that kind of price hike - I expect to be over there next year varmint hunting in Ontario again, so my usual trip over the border to the Detroit area will see me adding boots to my shopping list.

Tony

Tony,

If you ever fancy a change from your Rocky boots I can throughly recommend Meindl boots these are the best boots I ever had and over the years I've had several pairs from Cabela's also had Le Chameau(should stick to making wellies!), Irish Setters.

I use two pairs of Meindl's the Dovre Extreme (high boot)for shooting / beating in and as a everyday work boot I use Burma pro's both extremely good boots.

Andy

Tony,

Taking it sideways again... this guy is good for Irish Setter / Red Wing boots, I bought a pair of Elk Trackers for £120 odd delivered from him last year but he's not currently showing any pairs - must be the wrong time of year. You just need to get the right model as there's various insulation options, mine are 860 1000grm Thinsulate but I know there are 880's with less.

http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/saintsdb9/?_trksid=p4340.l2559

I can also recommend the Black Islander Diottos, now on my second pair as they're the only boots I've found that can cope with brambles and suchlike when beating, the first pair had a hard life for 4 years before the tough coating wore out. Had a pair of Mouflon Pluses which were scratched to where-ever after a day, having said that, I still wear them 5 years on and although they're coming apart they still don't leak. Must be a good pair!

ATB

FBW

Tony,

It does cost to import kit properly but one thing folks do not take into acount is the basic US system. Their retail prices are lower but the cost of living, if you total it up, is about the same as the UK, they just pay more for other essentials, we luck in when passing thru'.

Not much we can do about it.

Terry

Thanks Andy, FBW and Terry for your interesting remarks. Meindl are German and I've occasionally been half-tempted when in Germany, but I've always found US-patterned boots more practical & appealing; I have an idea that the USA developed its boot styles based on patterns that Scandinavian immigrants brought with them, and I've seen boots from Sweden and Denmark that look good.

I prefer uninsulated boots, nice and light: they're fine in Devon winters together with good socks, but not too warm in N.American summers. Yes, Irish Setter have some good styles and are reasonably priced - I'm just very keen on Rocky since my old ones have been so damn good. Had Danner a long time ago, pretty good too.

Terry, yes, I know the US is not financial heaven, they have fewer holidays than us and wage rates are sometimes surprisingly low; they pay less for food, clothes, guns, houses and petrol (for instance) but even with good insurance the average American worries about getting seriously ill and spending all his savings on medical care. A friend of mine had an accident while fishing over there, very bad luck really, had to be helicoptered to NYC for emergency neurosurgery - he calculated that his Tesco holiday insurance paid out around $40,000 in bills! And that was years ago...

Regards, Terry

Thanks Andy, FBW and Terry for your interesting remarks. Meindl are German and I've occasionally been half-tempted when in Germany, but I've always found US-patterned boots more practical & appealing; I have an idea that the USA developed its boot styles based on patterns that Scandinavian immigrants brought with them, and I've seen boots from Sweden and Denmark that look good.

I prefer uninsulated boots, nice and light: they're fine in Devon winters together with good socks, but not too warm in N.American summers. Yes, Irish Setter have some good styles and are reasonably priced - I'm just very keen on Rocky since my old ones have been so damn good. Had Danner a long time ago, pretty good too.

Terry, yes, I know the US is not financial heaven, they have fewer holidays than us and wage rates are sometimes surprisingly low; they pay less for food, clothes, guns, houses and petrol (for instance) but even with good insurance the average American worries about getting seriously ill and spending all his savings on medical care. A friend of mine had an accident while fishing over there, very bad luck really, had to be helicoptered to NYC for emergency neurosurgery - he calculated that his Tesco holiday insurance paid out around $40,000 in bills! And that was years ago...

Regards, Terry

$40,000 - Just think of the Tesco points he got...every little helps :lol:

Jonevo,

If you want to avoid local State tax altogether have your item mailed into the State you're in/visitng from another State - then there is no State tax :ph34r:

Terry

Archived