Just to kick things off I came across these photos earlier of a mate of mines first ever stag taken in the West Country last year

IMG_0018-1.jpg

I think it weighed out at 24 stone if memory serves me right

IMG_0025-1.jpg

Heart lung shot with a 243win

Regards

WSM

The faces have been changed to protect the innocent :o

Well I`m pretty sure some bit of the bullet hit the heart and lungs :P

The bullet entered on the front shoulder and deflected back touching the top of the heart going straight through the lungs and exiting a long way back between the ribs.He cleared a hedge crashed through the wood a good 100 yards and then dropped dead on the spot.

We still call my mate Lee Harvey Oswald because he seems to always carry those magic bullets :o

WSM

Nice stag to take as a first one :o My first red stag was a knobber still remember him the guide told me to shoot him again (I think he thought I had not hit him right) but I was certain that I had shot straight and hesitated as I did so he fell down dead. :P

B-b

Nice big laddie - (the stag that is)

Looks like extraction was going to be "interesting" in that area of coppice.

Well done!

24 stone is a monster up here in the highlands, nice beast. Does your mate not know that a 243 is not enough gun for a Red stag :o I kept thinking that last night as I sat waiting for Sika stags that are doing some damage, with a 243 across my lap.

John

24 stone is a monster !

My heaviest ever in my lifetime was this 16 pointer, a woodland stag shot in Ireland.

It swung the scales at 301 pounds or 21.5 stones. The antlers were 9x7 tines and made a Silver medal.

I dropped it with a .270 using a Speer 130 grain reload in 1993, the first year when Deer could be shot with a proper rifle over there since the ban in 1972.

Whilst beasts of this size can be killed with small calibres it is preferable to use a more powerful piece as insurance.

As the late Robert Ruark always said `USE ENOUGH GUN `.

Of all Deer species in these islands the Sika is the most difficult to kill in-situ. Even the diminutive Muntjac must be treated with respect for they too have a nasty habit of putting up their tail and bolting off to die in a thicket.

Use MORE than enough gun !!!!!!

DSC_0136.jpg

That is a super head their Stag, nice and dark in colour and heavy, :) I see that the “tops” ark in a heart shape, and the spread of the antlers is quite narrow. I have read that this formation is typical of a woodland (Brush) stag and that ones that live on the hill develop a wider beam.

What is your opinion of this theory do you think it is a valid one?

All the best,

B-b

Hi B.B.

My Stag was 301lbs or 21.5 stones.

It took 3 of us to lift it into the vehicle.

The chap I shot it with was very disappointed with it as it was so narrow and not typical of the Stags on his area.

Personally I was highly delighted for I had shot many Stags but never before had the privelege to grass such a fine specimen.

This beast had come in from somewhere for the rut and had never been seen before.

The chap I shot it with was very disappointed

DISAPPOINTED :):) Now I do not class myself as a trophy hunter, but I still like to see a good animal, The best one I ever saw was in N.Z. (I did not shoot it) but I can still see it in my mine today and it brings a smile to my face. :)

Do you think that the spead of the antlers is a purely genetic trait and there environment has little to do this?

All the best,

B-b

I was told that the West Country stags had a lot of body mass but didn`t believe it until I saw them up close and personal

Andy

Extraction was a nightmare and it took five of us to lift it out and then drag it back to the farm.( Ray wasn`t too impressed when I suggested we cut the antlers off and glued them back later so they wouldn`t get caught on the trees :) ).The fields were that wet we couldn`t use the tractor or quad so the trusty drag mat came to the fore

It makes you appreciate what the scottish stalkers have to handle

Regards

WSM

Aye, after 46 years culling Reds it is the only Medal Red head I ever got.

Shape,ie. inside span and width are genetic traits carried on through the breeding line and a narrow headed beast even of high quality otherwise is undesireable as a breeder.

It is much easier to introduce genetic mistakes than eliminate them.

With regard to body weights a decent hill Stag here shows a clean weight of about 160 pounds or 11.5 stones, my largest was 224 pounds or 16 stone if memory serves me correctly. It was a 12 pointer with an abnormal left antler.

QUOTE(The Equaliser @ May 4 2007, 08:47 PM)

He looks like Danny La Rue to me

:):):)

Its all becoming clear now.Shootingbags told me that they were his wifes stockings in his motors glovebox :):):D

WSM

Archived