Loading for the 6.5-55

varminter

Tell me what you think of this lads ,,,

I have recently been loading for a sauer 202 in 6.5-55 ........

Now the brass is fireformed Norma , I have fully prepped the brass (no neck turn )...

Load data is as follows..................

Norma brass

CCI benchrest primers

Viht N160 powder

120 nosler BT ----------- Loaded to 2.552 OAL ( measuring to ogive of bulled not tip!! )

Now started at 44 grains moving up half a grain increments up to 47 grains...........

First 3 rounds in a clover leaf so looking good with no pressure signs and a clean burn..............

Now if you look at the picture you see the cases getting very sooty just like when you get case obturation but it got worse as the powder charge increases!!!

You also notice that as the powder charge increases you hardly get any velocity gain even with 3 grains more powder!!

So at the end of no returns!!!

So the load this particular rifle likes is 44 grains which gives clean burn and good accuracy!!!

Now when working up the same load in a identical( apart from serial number and lapua cases ) sauer 202 it liked 45 grains with clean cases all the way up to 47 grains of Viht N160 powder!!!

Just shows how rifles differ and how even with the same bullet / powder / primer combination they both gave good accuracy at their favorite charge rate ........

Heres the cases after testing......................................DSCF1494.jpg

Its early days but it seems to me even with a modern rifle in 6.5-55 they favour moderate loads!!!!!!!!!

Be interesting to have your feedback guys.......... :rolleyes::P

All the best.....................

RAY........................................... :lol: :lol:

Thanks kal :lol: :lol:

Thats why i like my 6.5 - 284 / same bullets but like to be driven at full throttle with good accuracy too!! :rolleyes::P

All the best.................

RAY.................................................. ;):D

Yes chris , I was fortunate to test 2 rifles that are the same!!!

Only thing was different was serial numbers and lapua and norma brass!!!

I loaded both with the bullet touching lands so i could see what powder charge they preferred before i " tune " the load by bringing the seating depth back in 5 thou increments to see if i could tune the load more , Got to say both gave 3 shot ragged groups with the load they like!!!!

Like i said i started with a medium load ( 44 grains ) then worked up and from my results and comparing them with yours is how i have come to the conclusion about how they like medium loads!!!

Must say after being used to my " varmint " weight rifles , that the sauers felt very light!!!

Oh yes - i tried some Berger 140 VLDs in one of them and the rifle really liked them!!!!!! :rolleyes::P

All the best buddy...............

RAY................................. :lol: :lol:

Have a look at 123 gr Scenar :rolleyes: the shoot VERY well on the same powder load and seating depth.

Nice one matey!! :P:lol:

Thanks for that!!!!! :D

I know my 6.5-284 loves the 140 a-max / shoots the 139 Scenar / 142 matchking and 140 Berger VLD well too!!

Did not realize Berger done a 130 VLD ( BC 595 ) too untill i spoke to Dave ( 6mm BR ) so that i shall look forward to trying them !!!!

All the best...............

RAY................................... ;):lol:

No worrries Ray I'll bring some of the 130 VLDs with me. I also have some 123gn Lapuas if you want to try them.

Cheers

Dave

As always , thanks very much buddy!! ;) ;)

Look forward to seeing you again!!! :D;)

All the best..............

RAY................................. :D;)

I used a Sauer 202 Outback (6.5x55) for a few seasons as one rifle for fox and Deer. I used Vhit N150 with 46.8g of powder with a Sierra 85g hollow point head, cci primer`s and lapua cases`s.

Very accurate and clover leafed every time.

For the Deer i used Reloader 22 with 48g of powder and Hornady SST 129g heads again very accurate over all length was 3.110 inch

It shot the same with Fedral factory 140g power shok amunition.

I have just had some good results with N560 47.5g of powder with sst head`s in my Sako..

Well hello vim my dear!!!

Thanks for sharing your loads buddy!!! ;) ;)

Hows that feckless fireball going me dear????

All the best...................

RAY......................................... ;) ;)

Fireball`s good Ray ;)

Reloader 22 48grains with 129g SST head lapua case cci primer = 1 dead stag

aftershot.jpg

Good to hear!!

Nice pic too!!! Thanks for that!!!!!!! ;) ;)

All the best..................

RAY................................... :D;)

Interesting. I always quit when the chronograph shows no increase in velocity. Like you said, no point in going any further. This as another reason why a chronograph should be considered an indispensable tool for serious reloaders.~Andrew

Interesting. I always quit when the chronograph shows no increase in velocity. Like you said, no point in going any further. This as another reason why a chronograph should be considered an indispensable tool for serious reloaders.~Andrew

Hi andrew .......

Yes it was interesting how with virtually identical calibers and rifles how they both gave good accuracy but when the loads was worked up how the first rifle i tested gave " clean " burn all the way up to 47 gains and the other started to soot just after the medium ( 44 grains ) but accurate load!!!

I always use a chronograph , it tells you so much about your loads and when you want to go out to the longer ranges its indepensable so you can make up your ballistic data!!

RAY.................................................... ;) ;)

Hi andrew .......

Yes it was interesting how with virtually identical calibers and rifles how they both gave good accuracy but when the loads was worked up how the first rifle i tested gave " clean " burn all the way up to 47 gains and the other started to soot just after the medium ( 44 grains ) but accurate load!!!

I always use a chronograph , it tells you so much about your loads and when you want to go out to the longer ranges its indepensable so you can make up your ballistic data!!

RAY.................................................... ;) ;)

Hi Ray.

Its been interesting to read about your loading for the 6.5x55 as i needed a load working up this year as my usual fox rifle (tikka 595 in 243) was away in germany becoming a 6mmbr and it was becoming evident that it was not going to be a quick job so decided to work up a load for the swede with 120gn nosler bt and used exactly the same components as you did ie. norma brass,cci benchrest primers,viht n160 but all loaded to minus .050 which my rifle seems to prefer,by the way this is also a tikka but a t3 lite stainless, I started at 45gns of n160 working up in 1/2 gn increments up to 48gns at this point decided to revert to increments of 1/10 of a gn hitting a sweet spot at 48.5 gns and crono'd @ 2900 with no sings of excessive pressure,although i cannot profess one hole groups but they were regular sub 1/2 inch clover leaf, i have used this load throughout the year on roe and fox and found it to be very reliable,in comparison to the load that you have been using you may think that mine is rather eccessive but according to the lapua web site http://www.lapua.com/fileadmin/user_upload...ingData2006.pdf

it isnt . Hope you find this of interest, I am now about to embark on some serious 6mmbr loading as my beloved tikka 595 is now back home and may i take this opportunity to thank col48 for bending over backwards to make this happen even at his own expense (top man)

all the best Kev

• 2 months later...

I'm pretty new to reloading but it seems my rifle (Tikka T3 stainless 6.5x55) doesn't like hot loads. With minimum loads it seems happy and clover leafs at 100 yards, then step it up and they're away over an inch every time :lol:

I've just ordered some Hornady SST 129grn and some Lapua cases, I have H-Varget powder and Remington primers. Hopefully I'll be able to get something good with this combination. I'll be going for everything from Fox to Red hinds with it.

I'm pretty new to reloading but it seems my rifle (Tikka T3 stainless 6.5x55) doesn't like hot loads. With minimum loads it seems happy and clover leafs at 100 yards, then step it up and they're away over an inch every time :o

I've just ordered some Hornady SST 129grn and some Lapua cases, I have H-Varget powder and Remington primers. Hopefully I'll be able to get something good with this combination. I'll be going for everything from Fox to Red hinds with it.

I think the shooters of 50 years ago would have called us all a bunch of unrealistic panty-waists if we rejected a load because it shot "over an inch"! In my later years i have become very tolerant of loads that do not hold MOA but were within acceptable tolerance for the game I shoot. A sub MOA load is a requirement for the diminutive ground squirrels I used to shoot on the Mexican border because a peach-pit sized head was usually all you got to shoot at. On the other hand, a Montana mule deer at 200 yards is easy meat for a 2-MOA gun and a decent shot. History proved it long before my personal experiences did. I wouldn't hesitate to shoot deer with a 1 - 2 MOA rifle.

That being said, I wonder if it's worth changing powders? I have seven 6.5x55's left and have owned probably a dozen or so in my life. When I was in school I worked for a local gunsmith rebarreling Garand M1's to .270 and Small Ring Mexican Mauser 98's to 6.5x55 using new/surplus 96 Swede barrels. This ggunsmith was a 6.6x55 freak and he pointed me towards a 120 grain bullet loaded over 48 grains of H-4831. He was getting a tad under 2800 ft/sec and hovering at MOA from his C.Gustaf barreled Mauser. He killed many antelope with that load out to 350 yards. I tried it from my Mexi-Swede and he was right. I shot MOA for three shots but never did hunt with it before giving the completed rifle to a nephew

When I hit that accuracy/velocity wall I switch powders. (Probably easier for me than you, though!) ~Andrew

I'd like to be fussy if possible, and this is my reason. If I pull a shot by 2" with a rifle that shoots one hole groups I will get a heart shot. If I pull a shot by 2" with a 2MOA Setup I could on an unlucky day be 4" out, and that's not so good.

What I am questioning is how much this power variation matters? I need about 2350fps from a 140grn bullet to be legal, so how much will I gain if it's pushing 2500?

Guest northernchris

njc

In what respect do you mean by "gain"???

A 6.5 x 55 should push a 140gr upto around 2750fps with the right powder (N160,N165 and N560)

njc,

I remember my old coach when competing in the USMC now that you mention "pulling the shot".

He came up to me and said "You know how to not keep pulling your shots?"

Being the eager shooter that I was and looking for some sage advice I responded "No, how Gunny?"

He just looked me dead in the eye, smiled and said... "Don't do that."

Moral of the story:

No amount of accurizing your rifle will correct bad form. Practice more, until you don't pull your shots 2" anymore.

Not meant as a flame, just as honest and hopefully helpful advice...

I do pull them with the 6.5, I found that out today when being watched and my mentor one holed it with the same ammo. Hopefully it's near enough sorted now, but I'd like the trigger pull to be lighter if possible!

How much will I gain. What I mean by that is killing potential/room for error with the faster load. I will be shooting Red hinds sometimes and I want to know that the load will do the job cleanly. This may well be a novice way of looking at things, but then I am a novice and if I'm going about it wrong I need telling. I'd rather be told I'm daft than mess up a shot by not having enough gun :mellow:

The std factory loads for the 6.5x55 seem between 2550 and 2680 with the 140gr bullets, I use 47grs of N560 and get around 2700fps hornady 140gr SP, federal 210 primer, it shoots very well tight groups ( depending on me!) less than .50" at 100 yds and has killed everything shot cleanly.

As Kal says it has excellent penetration and accuracy is beyond question if the rifle is right. Marine is right too, steady practice until your technique is completely instinctive, if you have to think and remember you will forget something and your accuracy will suffer, also practising at the range ( farmers field ) is a no pressure situation, so you learn to take your time, which is all the better for ingraining technique.

Every body has their own way but the basics have been established since shooting began and are the best way to start.

Redfox

Archived