Loading for the 6.5-55

varminter

Thumbs up to the above posts! Practice makes perfect and, as I am fond of saying, Luck Favors the Prepared. Practice is the best medicine. These days I like to hunt with elderly, iron sighted sporters. I have four that I'm particularly fond of: a 30-40 Krag, two 8x57's and a light express rifle in .303 caliber. After adjusting the sights and load development from the bench I have only shot these rifles off -hand. I also practice off hand with my scoped rifles.

If you have such a high powered scope on board that you can't hold it steady, get rid of it for a lower powered scope. I hunt in very wide open country yet consider 4X my top magnification. If you need to lay down and crack a bipod to shoot, you need more off-hand practice. I think that today the ever-present bi-pod is a crutch for many shooters. JMHO ~Andrew

Andy the LRT Tactical scope is just for the posing aspect :P i dont normaly shoot further than 200 yards on foxes in fact i can only recall going past that on one occasion.

Regarding Deer 50 yards to 150 maybe a tad more and thats me. So you could say the optics are wasted on me because in truth i dont know what half the bungee dials do any way??

Hey Vim got to admit thought its a good glass to be using when lamping and when the the light starts to fade when hunting!!!!

I do like the 6.5-55 round , i have been fortunate to load rounds for 2 Sauer 202s and both rifles loved the 120 Nosler BTs ..

Now have another Sauer 202 to load for but this time been asked to tune the Sierra 120 pro hunters to it , so shall keep you posted on that when the time comes!!!!

All the best........................

RAY................................................ :D:P

... So you could say the optics are wasted on me because in truth i dont know what half the bungee dials do any way??

:P Pretty funny there! I was wondering how you managed to get that rig up to shoot! I am such a minimalist these days. My non-varmint rifles carry 4X or 3-7X scopes. Huge, unweildy pieces of glass now seem to be a nuisance. Of course, most of our shooting is done off-hand at big game and smaller X glass is better for that. ~Andrew

Archived