Bullet Break up

More out of interest really than any thing else, but at what speed would you say a ballistic tip "type" bullet would start to breaek up in flight? I read with great interest about some of you guys pushing tiny bullets out of your .17 Rems etc at speeds of over 4000fps and was wondering at what speed these bullets would start to fall apart.

Andy

More out of interest really than any thing else, but at what speed would you say a ballistic tip "type" bullet would start to breaek up in flight? I read with great interest about some of you guys pushing tiny bullets out of your .17 Rems etc at speeds of over 4000fps and was wondering at what speed these bullets would start to fall apart.

Andy

The key thing is what twist rate you are firing the bullet through and which brand of bullet you are using. NBT's have thicker jackets than VMax so dont expand as fast on impact but are more resistant to being fired at high pressures/speeds through unsuitable twist rates. Excessive fouling in the barrel will also cause bullets to break up.

They will all hang together up to about 3600, above that then it depends on the variables above but velocity above 4000 is achievable. Nothing you hit at 4000 will though be any deader than the same bullet at 3600 or 3000 for that matter.

A

The key thing is what twist rate you are firing the bullet through and which brand of bullet you are using. NBT's have thicker jackets than VMax so dont expand as fast on impact but are more resistant to being fired at high pressures/speeds through unsuitable twist rates. Excessive fouling in the barrel will also cause bullets to break up.

They will all hang together up to about 3600, above that then it depends on the variables above but velocity above 4000 is achievable. Nothing you hit at 4000 will though be any deader than the same bullet at 3600 or 3000 for that matter.

A

lets be honest anything over 2000 fps tends to smart a bit too :lol:

i think the cumplative effects of twist rate, speed and bullet type combined create break up. Its the weirdest thing the first time i witnessed it i was sort of phased out a little myself. After all its hit nothing it didn't smash to bits in the bore but turns to dust on its way down range in flight? Facinating but most undersirable

Seen a mate i think 243 fire a few shots at WMS and it was Andrew V, who pointed out the heads were exploding about 20ft in front of his mussle..puff of dust..weird seeing...not sure what twist or load he was using but he soon stopped shooting that rifle..luckily he had another 2 rifles with him.

Mick

Archived