ladder test

sporting rifles

Yes I do.

I developed my Match rifle loads this way.

We carried out ladder tests at 1000 yards with increasing powder charges in .1 gn increments.

You could then plot the nodes as you would get clusters on the target over a certain powder charge range.

What we were looking for was the broadest charge band which gave the highest velocity.

This would mean that small variations would then give similar vertical points of impact.

Match rifle really pushes the limits of a .308 expecting it to arrive accurately at 1200 yards the longest distance we shoot. Hence we need the most consistent ammo possible.

These nodes of powder charge we find almost more important than a low ES/SD, it just keeps you in that sweet spot longer.

Cheers

Dave

I use the ladder method for all my load development.

I load 3 of each charge weight and fire one of each from the lightest charge to the heaviest at 300yds. Stopping if I notice any pressure signs. Then I let the barrel cool and do the same from the heaviest (that showed no pressure signs) to the lightest.

If the group is not too strung out I'll do it again at 1000yds to confirm.

Ideally you need to be able to see your shots and mark them in order. Or get the marker to write which shot was which next to each bullet hole.

I ladder new loads as it is a quick and easy way to find the sweet shot. Ideally at 300 to start off with I get the wife to drop and mark each shot with a line and number so I can compare them to my data sheet. The line and number is so I don't inadvertently shoot a number out and wonder 'What on earth show did that' I had to do this in a big rush for 180 Hybrid's the other day and very quickly identified four loads that were very close which is my starting point for the next set of development at 1000/1100 later this week.

Talking up to 100 shots to optimise a load is not an option as that is 15% of my barrel life gone.

Archived