V-Max Bullets

CZ Varminter

I have been using sierra 55gr soft points in my 22-250. It's a CZ 550 varmint 26" barrel with a twist rate of 1:14. I have been really happy with these rounds so far but wanted to try Ballistic Tips so nees advice on what to go for or at least try.

Will be expecting good accuracy and devastation out to about 500yrds.

Thoughts are appreciated...

J

Nosler BT's or Hornady V Max in the 40-55gn range should give you good reults in your 22-250, not sure if you want to buy factory loaded rounds, I always found it's better reloading these as you can tweek to suit your rifle.

Andy

50 or 55gr V-max, your Rifle will like them..........55gr V-max with 34.6gr of Varget .020 off lands should give a good result. :rolleyes:

Tony.

I have been using sierra 55gr soft points in my 22-250. It's a CZ 550 varmint 26" barrel with a twist rate of 1:14. I have been really happy with these rounds so far but wanted to try Ballistic Tips so nees advice on what to go for or at least try.

Will be expecting good accuracy and devastation out to about 500yrds.

Thoughts are appreciated...

J

Do you mean (Nosler) Ballistic Tips, or (Hornady) V-Max? Both are worth trying, and I think you'd find either an improvement in terms of long-range consistency over conventional exposed-lead softpoints. I've used polymer-tipped bullets for 20 years and could not imagine any reason to revert to SPs or HPs. But as to which one, only experimentation can tell: the Big Three (Nosler, Sierra, Hornady) all have subtly different ogives, bases, and consistency of manufacture. I've spent (too) much time playing around with them, in .222, .223, 22-250, and now 20Tac! If you've already established a jump-to-lands setting that suits your rifle, you'll have to alter your seating die according to which bullet you choose, and then experiment; make sure you do field tests at extended ranges, since some bullets can perform significantly better or worse a few hundred yards downrange than their 100-rd range tests might indicate.

My experience has been that the 55gr V-Max shot well in 22-250, though I echo the advice to try the interesting new 53gr; Nosler BT are only a little more expensive, very good factory QC, and are always worth trying; I've been impressed by the performance of Sierra BK in 20Tac. As to which brand works best in your rifle, it's up to you... Good luck!

Tony

Thanks guys all adice taken on board will have to get a box of each of the "big three" and deffo take you advice tony on trying them at different ranges, will get some 53gr on order also i think (that BC is impressive). I have seen alot of good things with the V-max but will deffo try the Blitz Kings and the Nosler.

Just need some decent weather to get out and use them!!!

Appreciate your time and help guys.

James

I also have had great results with the 55grn Vmax in my 223. I wont get into the argument what can and cannot be shot with this bullet due to fragmentation, personally i find at normal stalking range they are very efficient.

I would be interested in other folks experience with BT types from other manufacturers.

I have some Hornady 165grn SST for my 06, not tried them yet but maybe i should start another thread on this subject, dont want to hijack this one.

Cheers

I have had excellent results from the new 53 grain V-Max out of my 22-250, 3860 fps being pushed by 40.5 grains of H380 has given me some very small groups, best I have ever achieved in fact, very hot load though.

Remember that a 22-250 needs a twist rate of at least 1 in 12 to stabilise these, most factory ones are a 1 in 14.

Hi Anthony I ordered a box of 53gr V max. Are these going to be no good then in my 1:14?

Anthony's experience might be different from mine, but I've owned four rifles in 22-250 made by Winchester, Ruger and Remington, they all had the traditional slow-twist 1:14 - and they all handled 55gr bullets just fine, at velocities of 3600-3700fps. If I still had one of these I too would try the 53gr V-Max like a shot, sounds perfect. Let us know how you get on.

Tony

I understand that the high BC ultra streamlined shape of the 53 grain V-Max means that they need a faster twist to stabilise than other bullets of the same or even higher weight.

I also understand that Hornady didn't use the 53 grain in their new Superperformance factory ammo for the 22-250 for this reason.

As to wether they will actually work in your rifle, I guess there is only one way to find out, I am sure somebody will take them off your hands if they are no good.

If it was me I would give it a go.

Cheers Anthony and Tony. Will try them out. Struggling to find some reloader 15 at the mo I'm almost out. :-( and apparently uk importers are maybe I say maybe getting it in august! I have a long range day at end of month 2x :-( lol. Will have to not shoot at all in July.

Archived