CZ Comp 2011

brown dog

Got back yesterday from the annual police sniper comp in the Czech Republic. Once again, entry was very kindly facilitated by ds1 via his close liaison with the CZ police sniper school. (Thank you David!).

Thought I’d stick up a few photos and notes that maybe of interest:

Although Czech cuisine is fantastic and the military catering support to the comp outstanding; I have to begin with description of a breakfast so special I was moved to take a pic. :lol:

Eggs and lumps of pork fat. Mmmm:

aP1010005800x599.jpg

This was the third time I’ve taken part. I was partnered with TerryH for a second time.

The comp’s style is one of precision sharpshooting challenges between 30 and 500m sitting and prone.

fP1010019800x599.jpg

An example of the targets is here: bP1010029800x599.jpg

The two left hand targets have a pair of hits on each killzone. Each pair is actually composed of one shot from each of us. The top target was engaged at 115m, the bottom target at 69m. The other two targets were engaged from the sitting position; one partner taking on the top target, the other the bottom target (I forget the range, but c50m or so).

I was rifleless for the comp; but the outgoing head of the sniper school very kindly leant me his CZ750 and issue ammo: cP1010037800x599.jpg

Actually, that last pic was the rifle I wish I’d been using :rolleyes: ; the CZ is actually the one infront here. I’d liken it to an AW produced in a tractor factory –although I must say the stock is ergonomically better than the AW: cP1010038800x599.jpg

The stock design is surprisingly similar to the Sentinel stock (unfortunately that’s the only department in which the rifle is close to a Sentinel; the 750’s trigger was a “two-stage-single-stage” – it had an enormous amount of creep- and the mags were an absolute b’gger to insert properly ) The scope was a rather peculiar Meopta with 0.05mRad vernier turrets. The glass was superb. cP1010039800x599.jpg

Here I’m on a 4-500m target. To my left is a Slovakian CT pair, then a Slovakian ‘normal’ police pair then a pair from the Berlin Spezialeinsatzkommando cP1010021replace800x599-Copy.jpg

Trying to see through the horrible mirage: eP1010024800x599.jpg

To my right, Terry, then a bunch of the usual suspects: Craig (Boz) and his partner and then another Brit pair dP1010023800x599.jpg

A fun few days, and great to see many familiar faces.

Matt,

great write up thanks, makes me very envious...........and keen to do more of this type of shooting. Whats the main calibre used, 30cal?

Mike,

Thanks.

Yup, 308 for about 98% of competitors. Couple of the FSB Group A Russkies had 6XC - but I suspect that was a win-at-all-costs competition cheat rather than using their 'deliver energy to target' work choice.

Photo's bring back memories of a great place to shoot and stay - village in middle or training area....awesome.

Couldnt make it due to commitments, now pining to get out there again.

How did the Brits fare?

More pics?

Please :) :) :)

6XC? Just read a very interesting article by German Salazar where he compared 30-06, 308 and 6XC. He compared results of his own score cards over many thousands of rounds in competition. His conclusion was the 308 was the winner up to 600yd then the 6XC took over at 1000. He used two pairs of identical rifles in 308/30-06 and loads his own rounds so I thought it a very good comparison. If you want a read its here:

http://riflemansjournal.blogspot.com/2011/04/cartridges-sibling-rivalry-308-vs-30-06.html

As Ronin said, got any more pics?

Mike.

Archived