.22 Hornet.

Hi all,

Thinking of changing my .17HMR for a .22 hornet, required for permissions where larger CF is just too much, IE flat/built up, any experienced hornet people out there?

Don't want .222/.223 as I have a .22-250.

Bobbo.

ive had one back in the day, but there are better choices i think than the hornet (17 fire ball ?20 some thing ). I must say it all comes down to noise and bullet over kill in close areas ie(close to towns and dwelings).the 17/ twenty built guns will stop after impact well before a Hornet.

Danny

I have had a couple of Hornets and think they a great little short range fox and vermin round.

Ok there old case design, is as fragile as glass butterfly and they are not as accurate as the more modern calibres.

But for their intended purpose ( sub 200 yrd fox and vermn medicine ) they are excellent.

From experience - straight out the box - my last CZ 527 could consistantly shoot 0.75 inch groups at 100 yds and put 5 shots in to a 2 in circle at 200 yrds.

Ok - it aint going to win any medals - but you dont get many foxes smaller than 2 inches do you .... :)

As for perfomance - 12 grns of lilgun launched a 35 grn vmax @ 3100 fps. This has been enough to cure many an unlucky charlie.

If the shooter does his bit - a fox at 150 yrds would not know the difference between the impact of the puny Hornet or the mighty 22.250.

I have put my soap box away fro the evening :lol:

ATB

Al

I shoot my CZ out past 200 on prairiedogs. Wouldn't hesitate to shoot a coyote at 250 with a 34 grain HP over 13 grains of Lil Gun. If you're moving from an HMR the difference in performance and trajectory will be dramatic. Be prepared to handload for it! ~Andrew

I have recently put a light CZ527 in 17AH into my armoury. Nice light little rifle with acceptable accuracy. Accuracy is perfectly acceptable but I have having reservations about knock down power. Took the entire rear end off a pigeon with a 20gr Vmax at 80 yards, it flew 80 yards. Looking into the cavity you could see its heart. Time will tell if I change it for a 20 Vartarg.

A

I use a Anschutz hornet and it is an excellent calibre to shoot. I use 35grn Vmax, 12.5 grn Lil'Gun and getting consistent groups of .67 inches at 150 yards. Will drop foxes at 150 yards no problem and corvids and bunnies out past 200 yards. Cheap to reload, no recoil worth talking about. It is a totally different beast compared to a .17 HMR and is a much better calibre imho. They are enjoying a revival in popularity and I know people who swear by the CZ527 model.

Guest richness

Hi all,

Thinking of changing my .17HMR for a .22 hornet, required for permissions where larger CF is just too much, IE flat/built up, any experienced hornet people out there?

Don't want .222/.223 as I have a .22-250.

Bobbo.

I'd go 17CF myself. The hornet ricochet risk is much higher than the 17's much faster and lighter bullet. Also my Hornet was not the easiest to load for and also a 17to17 variation is often not seen as an "upgrade" and is easily granted.

I'd go 17CF myself. The hornet ricochet risk is much higher than the 17's much faster and lighter bullet. Also my Hornet was not the easiest to load for and also a 17to17 variation is often not seen as an "upgrade" and is easily granted.

I concur. I know a lot of people are attached to the Hornet but frankly it's primitive: that case looks like something from the 19thC, and it's notoriously fragile. Headspacing on a rim? Not for me - something much more modern and efficient would be my alternative to .17HMR and like richness I'd go for a .17 centrefire, probably the Fireball, flatter shooting than Hornet, safer, inherently more accurate (notwithstanding the above descriptions of some users' accurate results), easier to load for, better case life.... Or do a Google for .17VHA - uses even less powder than Hornet and shoots better....

Tony

I concur. I know a lot of people are attached to the Hornet but frankly it's primitive: that case looks like something from the 19thC, and it's notoriously fragile. Headspacing on a rim? Not for me - something much more modern and efficient would be my alternative to .17HMR and like richness I'd go for a .17 centrefire, probably the Fireball, flatter shooting than Hornet, safer, inherently more accurate (notwithstanding the above descriptions of some users' accurate results), easier to load for, better case life.... Or do a Google for .17VHA - uses even less powder than Hornet and shoots better....

Tony

The Hornet is a fragile case to reload for if you're ham-handed, but it's no more fragile than others once loaded, generally speaking. As to headspacing on the rim; unlike headspacing from a shoulder which can be pushed around by misadjusted dies, the headspacing on the rim (in theory) is utilizing a very stable datum point.I dont have a problem with it.

The Hornet is a little primitive, and takes a little skill and care to reload for. When loaded thoughtfully,can be very accurate in a good rifle. What really irks me about 22 Hornet is the quality of the brass. PRVI is very hard to get here in the states so I have no frame of reference for it, but Winchester and Remington (especially Winchester) is very irregular with regards to case capacity. Anybody with any experiences using PRVI brass? Norma / Lapua is out of the question. I shoot too much! ~Andrew

Guest richness

Prvi is a bit of a headache to be honest mate. It has 1) a lower capacity 2) a funny small flash hole. Quite good quality though. I used remmy, carefully prepped. I got mine shooting an inch at 170" IIRC but it was hella fussy and everything had to be just so. Great reloading training really as it was my first cal ;) I was adamant that i'd get the 40gr'ers shooting as the BC was so much better than the 35s and it didn't come together til I switched to BR4 primers. ATB Richard

Prvi is a bit of a headache to be honest mate. It has 1) a lower capacity 2) a funny small flash hole. Quite good quality though. I used remmy, carefully prepped. I got mine shooting an inch at 170" IIRC but it was hella fussy and everything had to be just so. Great reloading training really as it was my first cal ;) I was adamant that i'd get the 40gr'ers shooting as the BC was so much better than the 35s and it didn't come together til I switched to BR4 primers. ATB Richard

Thanks for that. I know that of the American brass, Remington has the highest case capacity. If PRVI was the same as Winchester (Holding 13.5 Lil Gun) I'd be happy. I can deal with quirks, I just want consistency. Winchester is terrible.

I have a routine I use with Hornet that I don't generally use with other cases. I trim every loading, I flare the case mouth using the Lee Universal Expander Die which allows easier and straight bullet seating. I end by crimping. Sounds like a bother but when combined with small pistol primers, it gives the best accuracy I've experienced in a few decades of 22 Hornet shooting from a dozen different rifles. The accuracy rivals that of my .222 Model 70 Varmint. I'm shooting -as is my son with identically prepared loads- a CZ 527 American and I don't think it has an equal. (Sold my Annie to get it!) ~Andrew

• 3 weeks later...

started with the Hornet just last week myself. Was always slightly dissatisfied by windages and terminal performance unpredictability on Crows with the HMR. Didn't want a full blown .22 cf either as i can do all that and better with my .243" win. Besides Lancs are real difficult about putting ground game and vermin on c/fire. Did a lot of research first found some good info on reduced loads to .22 stinger or .22 wmr levels which could be handy, time and trial will tell.

Anyway put about 100 rounds through it so far. Am i impressed? you bet i am! In report it is i feel quieter than my HMR when both fitted with moderator. Accuraccy wise its doing a consistant 1.3" not good you think well i am quite chuffed as these are at 225yds in a 1-1.5 moa side wind! At this range is still carries more energy than a .22 WMR does at the muzzle so i recon i have a nice little lightweight foxer on my hands. Elivation required just a tad over 4 moa from a 120 zero, allowing for horizontal spread in the wind i am sure those groups wil really tighten up some. Now these were shot with FACTORY ammo good stuff admitedly RWS 46 grn fodder at £19 per box, :blink: but i believe in testing with the best factory to start off and prooving the gun as not only can you send the thing back if it don't shoot but you can harvest some good brass in the process. 35 grn hornady factory were noisy little critters and grouped poorly even at 100 they didn't pass muster. Now i have something to work towards and better with my handloads.

I did notice these RWS factory loadings were crimped and when tested in the consentricity gauge are very straight indeed. i will maybee try crimping later if i don't get what i am looking for but intend to start with Wilson hand dies using only a neck bushing die on the necks. the brass also looks anealed so hopefully i should get some life out of it. Presently gathering bullet heads to try got 45grn Seirras and some 40grn speer and my dealer is making enquiries of RUAG about obtaining some of these 46 grn TMS heads as used in the sucsessful factory loadings.

There is a good reason why any cartridge lasts over 80 yrs and is still chambered in factory rifles and thats just in its smokeless form. Old rimmed case or not the thing shoots and is a whole lot of fun to boot. If i realy wanted superiour balistics i suppose i would have looked at a .20 ruger or one of the 6mm and what do you call superiour anyway? The thing certainly works and i suppose there is a certain satisfaction in finding out what those first smokeless Hornet shooters knew 80 yrs back ;)

.22 wcf

Not exactly, but I'll give it to you. ;) I thought I'd missed something! The 22WCF case was the basis for the original brass tho the Hornet used a smaller diameter bullet and in the final version ended up longer and with a much shorter neck.~Andrew

Archived