Which caliber

Wanting some help and I think that this is the best site to get it on, so here goes.

I have just sold a .222 rifle and so will be informing the law this week. However this should open up a new slot for me and I was wondering what to go for, my dilemma

is that I have a .17HMR, a .243 that I use for fox and deer and a .308 that I use for deer only. Now, I'm not wanting to rush out and buy a new toy just yet but I am wanting to have something available should finances allow and the desire over take my common sense. :blush::lol:

So, remembering that I have sold the .22 centrefire because it just wasn't getting used then what do you think that I should consider, I don't target shoot, and I am limited on long range bunny bashing etc, or is it that what I have is enough and I should not be greedy? :P

As to what I shoot, well I shoot mainly fox and Roe, some Fallow close by on a mates estate and I do get the odd go at munties and Reds.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. ;)

Cheers BTE

I would look hard at the 6.5 family /6.5x47 and so on they will cover all your needs even Reds at modest range.

Good luck , and by the way you can Never have enough guns.

Danny

I would look hard at the 6.5 family /6.5x47 and so on they will cover all your needs even Reds at modest range.

Good luck , and by the way you can Never have enough guns.

Danny

I'm glad that you mentioned the 6.5 x 47 as that one is in my mind too. Madmanx suggested that cal aswell. Thanks Danny.

Could do a lot worse for sure. If push came to shove, it could do pretty much all your two other centrefires can with a very high level of accuracy and efficiency. I have or have had all sorts of calibres but the 6.5L never fails to impress me

Chris-NZ

depends on bullet weight ,my vavorites are 6x47lap,6.5x47lap, 260 ,6.5-284, 284 and 7mmsaum any one of these will do the trick their all mega accurate

Well I have had a good read about the 6.5 x 47 and I can't find a bad word about them. So I started looking for one and I can't believe how rare they are, and how expensive! :blush: Well, I'll start saving my pennies and one day I might just manage one. :)

Thanks for your replies people, much appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

Right men, I've applied for a 6.5x47lapua and now I have another dilemma, I can't find anyone who produces this calibre, that is apart from custom jobbies, anyone know of anyone that makes a stock rifle? I thought that Sako / Tikka might do one but I can't find anything on their web site that suggests that they do! :mellow:

in agreeance with edi for varminting purposes no good on deer tho with 22-250, so i would agree with 6.5 x47 or deffo look at 260. Rem. Brother inlaw has one built by Ronin and i love it! (lol, he does too) really accurate rifle and good variance in bullet weights for anything really.

J

Right people. variation is back and I need to start pricing a 6.5 x 47 up, Cooper Arms make one, other than that it looks like a custom build, so who should I look to provide me with a quote? Steve Kershaw is fairly close to me and I've never heard a bad word about his work, I've also met the lads at Rifle Craft and they seem on the ball, anyone else? :unsure:

I would tend to steer clear of youre latter suggestion.

Dave aka Baldie on here gets a good rep, he also supplies his own actions which look like one of the best rem clones on the market.

Grant Taylor, Border Barrels, Neil Mckillop, and of these would provide a first class build!

Garry

Right people. variation is back and I need to start pricing a 6.5 x 47 up, Cooper Arms make one, other than that it looks like a custom build, so who should I look to provide me with a quote? Steve Kershaw is fairly close to me and I've never heard a bad word about his work, I've also met the lads at Rifle Craft and they seem on the ball, anyone else? :unsure:

Have a look at Brock & Norris - I've had 2 custom jobs off them and a good bit of tuning on other guns to.

Also Mike has tons of experience on 6.5x47 and it was Mike who encouraged me onto my first 6.5x47.

Also worth a look if you like Accuracy Internationals is Sporting Services.

My AE MK II is brilliant as is Foxing Tonights AW in 6.5x47.

Kind Regards

Rob

Have a look at Brock & Norris - I've had 2 custom jobs off them and a good bit of tuning on other guns to.

Also Mike has tons of experience on 6.5x47 and it was Mike who encouraged me onto my first 6.5x47.

Also worth a look if you like Accuracy Internationals is Sporting Services.

My AE MK II is brilliant as is Foxing Tonights AW in 6.5x47.

Kind Regards

Rob

Rob, I take it that Mike is at Brock and Norris is he? :) I'll also contact Baldie too, thanks for the heads up Garry ;)

Now just to raise the cash, anyone want to buy a couple of vintage Lambrettas? :D

Or a kidney? :(

Oh and thanks for all your help, advice and comments guys. :)

Rob, I take it that Mike is at Brock and Norris is he? :) I'll also contact Baldie too, thanks for the heads up Garry ;)

Now just to raise the cash, anyone want to buy a couple of vintage Lambrettas? :D

Or a kidney? :(

Oh and thanks for all your help, advice and comments guys. :)

Yep, contact Mike at Brock & Norris - if you do get him to put a rifle together for you, it will be insanely accurate.

Kind Regards

Rob

I'm surprised that with a .308 and .243, you didn't go for something smaller? I was thinking .17 Fireball but then I do like those little calibres.

Custom wise I've had Mike Norris work on a gun of mine and it was fantastic after. Nothing but praise for his work. I also had an Ackley Hornet made by Callum Fergusson (PRS), that was pretty spot on too!

Archived