trip to dorset

Right here i go then at last got my zeiss conquest from europtics 6-20-50 waited 3 months for vermint ret to come in stock never arrived had to settle for Z1000 any way mounted it on top of .20tac i purchased of (dave 6mmBR) 26"Pacnor s/s barrel and remy s/s 700 action in H.S precision stock with jewel trigger and pes small can so of i go to Dorset armed with 40grn v.max 23grns Vit 133 and dakota lapua brass landed early tues morn got set up and shot of the truck bonnet using Harris bi-pod no back bag1st shot was 190 yrd crow smack on centre really did a lot of damage 2nd shot 220 yrds again a crow same amount of damage 3rd shot 345 yrds and 4th shot 430yrds four shots four kills i was really pleased with results to say the least i also tryed some 50grn bergers again very accurate i spent 2 days down there and in that time the rifle proved to be very accurate and very seldom did i miss a shot it also performed very well for a light bullet in windy conditions i have always shot a .223 ever since i started shooting and was reluctant to sell it but dave (Baldie) told me about .20tac for foxing vermint shooting it is one of the most accurate and hard hitting 20s he was right thanks Dave i must be honest i bought the .20 tac to try and if i was impressed with the calibre which i am Dave will be getting a phone call to build me a .20tac with is new valkerie single shot action and a trueflight barrel in manners stock so when enough money saved up dave expect a phone call also thanks go out to Dave 6mmbr real pleasure to do a deal with you and thanks for your help the rifle by the way was built by Neil (Dasherman) the rifle is so sweet to shoot no recoil the ret is still on the target you can actually see the the point of impact when the bullet hits it target really really nice sorry no pictures still cannot get my head round to how you get them on forum i hope this right up helps anyone who is thinking of a .20tac i would say go and buy one well worth it thanks for reading Barry.

Barry,

You definitely sound a happy man!

it's certainly tipping the scales for me, now. I have been thinking of one for a while now, and I feel the need for a variation coming on....

How do you get on with that length of barrel? Does it balance well? Must be a fair weight to carry?

Mark

Hi Mark the barrel lenght is ok they say 26" is what you need for accuracy on a 20tac have to be honest when shooting out of truck window can be a little awkward you could do with a little shorter but it is so accurate as it is i would not like to mess about with it wieght wise it is ok

Glad your getting on well with the rifle Barry.

That sounds like you had a good trip.

A fantastic way to christen a new rifle well done.

Cheers

Dave

Hi Dave yes very pleased with results some good long range shots with it the 50grn also shot well did you ever try 23.5 or 24grns just wonder if you sacrifice any accuracy by driving it that little bit faster cheers Barry

Good stuff Barry, told you the .20,s were awesome.... :D

If you e mail the pics to me, ill host them for you.

If its more speed you are after, i have a .20 BR reamer....that would work well in the single shot. ;)

Barry,

Are you mag feeding your rifle? Works OK? What twist barrel?

Dave - Can I assume that the 20Tac will feed out of the .223 ASIC's mag OK or would you recomend the 20Practical for this?

Just thinknig of the next project :ph34r:

Brgds Terry

Hi Mark the barrel lenght is ok they say 26" is what you need for accuracy on a 20tac have to be honest when shooting out of truck window can be a little awkward you could do with a little shorter but it is so accurate as it is i would not like to mess about with it wieght wise it is ok

Barry

Have to disagree about the 26" barrel thing.I've got a Tac thats 21" and still achieves velocity and 1/4" groups.Nick (20ppc) experimented with a ppc version by cutting an inch off at a time and I think he's down to a 16-17" barrel with very little difference from when it was 24"

Gunnery, I doubt if barrel length is crucial to accuracy, though it will certainly affect MV. If I had a heavy varmint rifle my barrel would be 26", a suitable proportion and lots of weight up front for stability; but my 20Tac is a light sporter with a 22" barrel and I'm perfectly happy with the 3850fps I get using a 39gr bullet - and this is not a top-end load either, just one that turned out to give accuracy plus adequate MV.

Great to read about your initial experiences using 20Tac - I'm delighted with mine, also done by Neil M who rebarrelled my Winchester Featherweight with a PacNor 1:11 to suit bullet weights up to 40gr. If you wanted to provide some load data I'd find that interesting: my load uses the Dakota/Lapua brass, Rem 7.5 primer, 23.8gr N130, Sierra BK 39gr. But I just got some Nosler BT 40gr to try, used them in the past in .222 and 22-250, highly recommended; and just bought some CCI BR4 primers, might make a slight difference.

Must get out with the rifle again, maybe early tomorrow...

Regards, Tony

Hi Dave yes very pleased with results some good long range shots with it the 50grn also shot well did you ever try 23.5 or 24grns just wonder if you sacrifice any accuracy by driving it that little bit faster cheers Barry

Barry accuracy is everything when trying to hit small varmints, they won't notice another 100fps or so, but you will when you've speeded things up and missed them.

First four shots with the rifle all hits out to 400+ yards tells you that everything is running just right ;)

Glad your having fun with the .20TAC.

Don't tell me too much or I'll regret selling it to you :o;):D

Cheers

Dave

Hi All thanks for comments Terryh i am using mine as a single shot it as the floor plate mag but i have just been loading it single i fitted a blanking peice over floor plate to make it single shot my load which is what Dave loaded is 23grns Vit 133 and 40grn V-max not loaded any myself yet because i have a lot to get threw before i start loading my own they are doing 3600 mv

Hi Dave (Baldie) to many Daves on this forum i dont have any pictures from Dorset because i know i am thick when it comes to trying to load them on site no the 20tac is brill very happy to stick with this cal for all my vermint needs but do fancy in time a full blown Valkerie custom job (left handed of course)

Archived