quietest powder for .222

Wordsworth

Just wondered if anyone had done comparisons as to which powder provides the quietest firing signature in .222 I currently use lapua brass, 21gr of IMR4198 behind a nosler 40gr and CCI benchrest primers out of a 19" barreled sako 75 varmint with a Jet Z CQB mod the accuracy is fantastic but I am sure with the right powder it could be a lot quieter.

Why are you worried about being quieter?

Your always going to have a subsonic crack anyway and impact noise

I am all to aware of the supersonic crack and impact signature and would like the rifle to be quieter and firmly believe that the correct powder can facilitate this.

I am all to aware of the supersonic crack and impact signature and would like the rifle to be quieter and firmly believe that the correct powder can facilitate this.

But why quieter??

If you did change powder and it became quieter I'm doubt it would be any quieter to notice or worry about.

In my experience faster powders are quieter. Maybe you could try viht n120 but as has been said you may not see much difference in a .222

But why quieter??

If you did change powder and it became quieter I'm doubt it would be any quieter to notice or worry about.

An area I shoot is sound sensitive and yes the difference in powders can make a dramatic effect in signature my understanding is that it is in relation to burn rate and although quick load suggests that 21gr of IMR would be consumed within a 19" barrel I am not convinced.

I'm just waiting for some N120 to come in for my 222, will see how quiet that is compared to Benchmark

Just being doing a bit more research and found a n110 load for 40gr going to nip to shop in morning and if they have some will try it and post results

Just a thought, for the area you shoot that is sound sensitive could you not develop a load that is subsonic for your .222? not sure if this is possible with a .222 but I'm sure some of the ballistic techies on here will correct me if this ain't possible.

Andy

Just a thought, for the area you shoot that is sound sensitive could you not develop a load that is subsonic for your .222? not sure if this is possible with a .222 but I'm sure some of the ballistic techies on here will correct me if this ain't possible.

Andy

I had considered it mate but I think the twist rate of my barrel 1-14 would stop me using a heavy enough bullet though others may have more of an idea

I'd be surprised if the peak SPL was more than 2dB different for different powders producing the -same vel-.

Greater things to worry about I'd suggest (like a better mod).

Chris-NZ

Archived