Hi All,

My club at Bisley (OSM) holds monthly McQueen shoots alternating between 200 and 300 yards. If there are any forum members who would like to have a go, the event dates are on the OSM's calendar at www.osmshootingclub.org.uk

Requirements are that the shooter is either an NRA individual member, a member of the NRA shooting club or a member of a club affiliated to the OSM.

The McQueen course of fire in a nutshell is 2 sighters in your own time at a fixed target followed by 10 random 3 second exposures on a 'castle'. The event is extremely addictive and places a premium on speed and accuracy. The 'Super-V' is 4" in diameter, if anyone is interested please contact the OSM directly or PM me,

Best regards

Alan

Thanks for that Alan but there are no more McQueens dates listed on the OSM site for the remainder of this year, could you get them to update it.

The Imperial Meeting McQueens runs from 4 July and there are more details on the NRA website. The Pheonix McQueens is shot on Short Siberia at 200 yards on a PC Fig 14 substitute with a 1" V-Bull.

Gents,

Not trying to steal the thread but can someone give me a bit of an update re. the McQueens as shot elsewhere. The last time I shot it was with a 'supplied' L96 in 308 at Bisley (a while's back :) ).

Is the comp still loosly a historic sniper comp or has it developed into yet another arms race i.e. top end rifles in non military calibres say 6.5-284, 6.5x47's etc.

We shoot this at our club as a 'different' comp, luckily with the orignal, non PC, huns head. Great fun.

Brgds Terry

Terry

The McQueens is shot in 2 formats at Bisley.

Firstly the matches shot at the Pheonix and GAWs are done on Short Siberia using a PC Fig 14 substitute with a 1" V-Bull; a very challenging and deceptive target, to win a match you have to be shooting all bulls with a good few Vs.

Secondly there's the McQueens shot during Imperial shot at 300 yards on Century using the Fig 14 with a 4" Bull but no V.

The first lot above is turning into an arms race with people getting rifles built specifically for this match, the second caters for several classes including as issued with issue ammo, classic and open.

I must admit I enjoy it and have had a .260 built for it, and other matches that are in the pipeline as well.

John,

Cheers for update - and assume you meant '2' formats not '200'!

I'm not against competiton, just did not want to turn up withe a knife at a gun fight :lol:

The small target 'rece gun' McQueens is at 200 then?

Brgds Terry

Terry how often do the Tamar Rangers shoot the McQueens at Millpool? I went to the club competition last August and had a great time shooting the McQueens and the various other stages, the only problem is that it is only done once a year!!! I fail to see the logic in that. I think I may be joining Tamar Rangers in the next couple of months but this partly depends on how often they will be doing McQueen shoots and stages different to the standard practice. If you need extra people to help set up I will be more than willing to help come July.

All the best, Paul.

Thanks for that Alan but there are no more McQueens dates listed on the OSM site for the remainder of this year, could you get them to update it.

The Imperial Meeting McQueens runs from 4 July and there are more details on the NRA website. The Pheonix McQueens is shot on Short Siberia at 200 yards on a PC Fig 14 substitute with a 1" V-Bull.

Thanks for your post John,

The OSM are holding McQueen shoots on the 2nd weekend of most months, dates have not been posted on the OSM website due to technical glitches. For details please contact the club direct www.osmshootingclub.org.uk or Tel: 01483 799998.

The club shoots follow NRA practice:-

1" Super V - Tie breaks after drawn shoot offs.

4" V Bull - scores 5.1

6" Bull - scores 5

8" Inner - scores 4

Elsewhere on target - 3

The same target and scoring system applies at 200 and 300 yards. In reply to another post, yes for some people it has turned into an arms race but at these distances ability plays a far larger part. A lady member of our club who has been rifle shooting for less than 2 years often gets scores of 50 - 50.10. Her rifle? A club .243 Heavy barrel Howa with a Harris bipod and a cheap Deben Hawke scope,

Best regards

Alan

Paul,

Planned to shoot it a lot more, possibly every weekend shoot. we have different set up now re. range usage. als i'm looking at how to make it simpler to set up.

Brgds

Terry

Terry,

Come and have a pop on short siberia at the politically correct target with the 1" V bull.

Matt holds the record with a maximum score of 60 or 50.10

I won the mcqueen at the phoenix 2 years ago with a 59 or 50.9

I,ll tell you what, unless its absolutely flat calm, and i mean flat calm, the maximum score is all but impossible. You need a 6mm or better a 6.5 to be competative in the wind, it also has to be a 1/2" shooter to be in with a chance. You will also find a scope with a very wide fov to be an advantage, as you can wind up more mag, and still see the castle edges.

I dont think i,ve ever been out of the top 5, and its usually the top three for the last 4 years at ALL the gallery rifle meetings where its shot, and i,ve built several of the winning guns.

A 55 is not easy. This is the point where you stay down and reshoot. Anything above that usually wins, or gives silver/bronze.

I would much rather shoot the old huns head with the 100mm kill at 300 in the Diggle wind....its easier.

Dave,

I'm very tempted to take you up on that, I'm not doing enough shooting, I'll pick Matt up on the way thru'.

When are the shoots on?

My 'tacticool' rifle's a 6.5x47 Sentinel + 5-25 S&B which matches your spec. pretty much - it also shoots better than me. :blush: .

Brgds Terry

The next gallery rifle meeting is the Phoenix Terry, at the end of May. You need to pre enter though. You can do it online at the NRA website.

Your rig will be spot on for it.

Dave,

Not getting back from Czech comp till 23:15 on Friday 27th, might be a bit pushed to make that one :unsure:

Still I'll see what's what. If not i'll keep an eye out for other dates.

Terry

Archived