Rifle cleaning

v-max

Hi just a querry but is the hoppe's br9 ok to use with a bronze brush. My bottle instructions are a mess after a spillage etc & im waitting on reloading solutions getting in some shooters choice as its on back order. I ask the question because im breaking in a new barrel & every time i brush it then wet patch it it comes out still blueish etc & was wondering if theres a reaction etc. Dispite as my years im not into cleaning rifles as im an ex-keeper & you know what they can be like.

Its coming out bluish because the solvent isn,t removing the copper. Br 9 is crap...its comparatively weak compared to other stuff....the ph brush will also leave tiny deposits.

Butches bore shine is similar in strength to shooters choice, they are both mid strength copper solvents, designed for everyday use. Ideal for a man who cleans properly, and regularly.

Gamekeepers and deerstalkers should use sweets 7.62, which is atomic strength. :lol:

Put the brush away, you dont need it on a good barrel. You want either a bottle of hoppes 009 carbon remover [the stuff that smells of pear drops ] or a bottle of the great KG1 carbon remover. Shove half a dozen wet patches down with these on, and let stand 10 minutes. Patch out, and then 2 or 3 wet patches with sweets etc on, again, let stand, and let the chemical do the work [10-15 minutes only ] patch out until bone dry.

Brushes are aggressive and more crown damage is done by them than anything else.

This regime will treat your new barrel a lot kinder, and will remove just as much copper. If you really must brush, use a nylon one. Also the nickel plated jags from Tipton are very good, as they dont give false copper indications.

V-max,

In complete agreement with Dave, folks tend to clean the snot out of rifles every time they use them - why? Cleaning, especially with a wire brush, is not benine. If you use the correct chemicals then a patch is all you should need - Caveat some factory barrels do not fit this method :lol: .

A good quality barrel will go literally hundreds of rounds without loosing accuracy. Have you seen a reduction of accuracy with your shooting pattern, if not why fully clean?

At the range I push a patch of Carb-out thru, followed by Wipe-out accelerator then wipe out. By the time I've driven home, typically 45 minutes, then a couple more wipes thru' with a pause (putting outher stuff away's a good timer) then the bores clean. Also found with Wipe-Out that it does not change the POI for CCB shot.

When I run out of Wipe-Out probably going to the KG range of products as no sensible importer of Wipe-Out.

Brgds Terry

Ok cheers for the advice guys thanks. terryh i have just got the barrel & only put 20 or so through it hence my question & cleaning it regular is killing me as i did shoot 1 clean 1 for 5 rounds then shoot 3 etc. The wet patch & leave for 10min sounds great to me though & easy enough. My camera button has sprung off but dose still kinda work so i will try get pics of my new rebarrel job. It's shooting .250" groups just now & proving to be a shooter so i look to have fun getting into trying some longish shots with it cheers for replies.

• 2 weeks later...

so a carbon remover like KG1 or the like then buchs bore shine........

so how often would do you guys do this? after how many rounds are we talking bout here???

sauer / paul

I have just seen the need to clean after 280 rounds through my 6mmbr.

I have however found that if I put several rounds through a rifle in a day and the carbon doesn't cool I will get more rounds before accuracy falls off.

Archived