Fireball mag feeding

Hi folks,

I am going to apply for a 17 fireball for shooting crows etc when im in the fields in the tractor doing crop work etc ( might not get much work done) :)

well, its going to be a light weight pea shooter that I can just pop in and out of the tractor and jeep with so it will be a compact rifle.

Im just wondering about this mag feeding issue that this round has as its quite small.

What would be the best donor rifle to base this barrel job on in regards to the magazine feeding?

It must be mag fed as I cant be carrying rounds in my pockets and fiddling with them and clinking them into the action as my crows will have flew off. Just want to knock the safety off and watch those feathers go poof! :)

Garry

:lol::lol::lol:

As Feargal about the 17 bas tard....sorry furball....

Both of us tried every permutation possible to make a defiance action feed the bloody things. Every magwell, ever mag, you name it, i tried it...it just would not work, the round is too short.

The only action it will feed in is a cz 527, ie a controlled feed mauser action, and it must be a small action like the 527.

I believe remington chamber a 700 in it, but i,ve yet to see one, or its internal mag system.

Its the only mag system that has ever beaten me.

Dam it Dave, thats not what I wanted to hear :(

How about the new 223 AICS mags? Suppose you tried them?

I have a single shot savage I could use cus I think the bolt face can be changed? Am I right?

Might be a last resort....

They wont feed from any AICS mag, 223, or converted .308. I tried absolutely everything.

Why Remington have dropped the .17 Rem in favour of the poxy thing is beyond me.

They wont feed from any AICS mag, 223, or converted .308. I tried absolutely everything.

Why Remington have dropped the .17 Rem in favour of the poxy thing is beyond me.

Beautiful little cartridge! I'd have a Fireball any day, never fancied the bigger/older .17 Rem though. Remington offer, or offered, the Model Seven in Fireball, very nice combo; but otherwise I'd use this round in a single shot rifle, TC Contender Carbine maybe. I only feed single rounds for varminting anyway - off a Score-High follower inserted in the mag - not interested in rapid fire.

Tony

i,m with tonyh, shoot my mates 17 f/b and its a cracking little round, no recoil so you can see the full impact of those tiny little pills, almost as flat as my 22-250.

its a rem sps and if memory serves correct there is a ramp forward of the mag well that helps feed the round into the chamber, seemed to work fine

I have a 17 rem fireball its a factory remmy SPS.

Feeds flawless,from 5 rnd internal box mag,there are 2 radius feed ramps in the action itself.

The rifle is in the standard sps stock ,but i have it with devcon it shoots 1/2" @ 100.

superb crow round and 25g vmax @ 3500fps make a good foxing round.

Would be intersting to see pics of it and see it working.

Id still like to stick with the fireball round if poss, it would do my job down to a T.

Hopefully my firearms liscencing will pass it for me as I have good reasoning. Cant wait to get one if they do, it will prob be used twice as much as all my other rifles.

Garry

fireball.jpg

Very interesting.

Pretty simple to make feed from an internal box mag, as this pic shows. It has right/left feed much the same as an AW.

It would not work with a box mag, unless designed from the ground up as a dedicated furball mag/action. The reason we could not make the defiance action work, is that it had no internal rails to hold down an internal mag follower...it was designed to run AW mags.

The cz works, but it does because its controlled feed.

Garry, a customer of mine has been in today, that has a custom furball for sale. Its built on a cz 527 action, and has a spare custom .223 barrel too. It feeds, and is a very accurate rifle, it was built by Richard Pope, if its of any interest, give me a bell, and i,ll give you his number.

Oh man, this scenario again. Never want to see one these C**ts ever again. Just use a floor plate job and save the rest of the world the headache. PITA, I think I still owe Baldie a mega holiday away from the rest of the world because of this one.

• 2 weeks later...

Baldie,

i have just bought a cz 527 in 22 hornet, and was wondering if in the future would it be possible to rebarrel it to either the 17 fireball or its parent case the 221 fireball?

Archived