Neck Sizing using FL Die.

lancslad

All.

Ive been reloading for a little while, sticking with my loading for my deer stalking rounds.

I use RCBS FL Dies, and have been FL Sizing the loads from Day 1.

Having been doing this for about 300 rounds or so, I have been told that I should be "neck sizing" my loads instead of FL sizing.

Ive also been told that you can do this with a FL Die.

Advice please gents and is it just as simple as turning back the die half a turn in the press from the seating position.

yes you can neck size only with a full length die by backing it off just enough to stop it from bumping the shoulder but you will need to measure a fired case with a head space tool size it and adjust accordingly until you no longer bump the shoulder back. you will still need to full length resize from time to time and make sure that you also trim the cases to length as well

good luck

Ian

For a stalking rifle, I suggest full sizing is all that is needed. Neck sizing may stress the brass less but there are arguments for and against. I certainly get great results in my 7-08 using an FL die and am also FL sizing all my .308 brass.

Your can never ensure the case sits in the chamber in the same position every time....

There lies and argument :D

For a stalking rifle, I suggest full sizing is all that is needed. Neck sizing may stress the brass less but there are arguments for and against. I certainly get great results in my 7-08 using an FL die and am also FL sizing all my .308 brass.

Your can never ensure the case sits in the chamber in the same position every time....

There lies and argument :D

Yeh, heard of that argument Scotchy......

Targets - Neck size Only.

Hunting - FL due to chambering issue that may come up.

Archived