Other 20-cal varmint bullets

TonyH

In terms of quality varmint bullets in the 20 calibres, discussion tends to be limited to the 39gr Sierra BK v the Hornady 40gr V-Max. Both these are excellent bullets: I've used the Hornady in .22 centrefires for a long time and found both the 40gr and 55gr provide excellent accuracy & terminal effect. In my 20Tac I've selected the Sierra because during load development it appeared to be marginally more consistent than the Hornady - though I could be mistaken. In the field the Sierra is terrific, very accurate and destructive.

I just wonder whether anyone has tested the alternatives thoroughly. I know Bergers have a solid reputation for accuracy, but it's simply a fact that polymer-tipped bullets have a higher BC and are just all-round better for long range varminting; at least, that's what I've decided after using them for twenty years or so. Last year I played with Barnes Varmint Grenades in my .223 and they did not impress, quite erratic.

I don't hear anything about the Nosler 40gr Ballistic Tip. Anyone tried this in 20 cal? Or anything else...?

Thanks, Tony

Zaitsev here had a 20Tac with a 1:8 twist barrel, I can't remember the make. He was hurling 50gn Bergers out of it, and they were both accurate and destructive. Mind you he sold it now so there wasn't many years of experience with it. I am sure he'll chip in with his impressions.

So far as I am concerned, I've stopped at the 39gn Blkng: accurate, fast, destructive and available. The 40gn Vmax was not these things and, whilst the 32gnVmax was also very good, I stuck with the highest weight my rifle would group repeatably with.

my 2p,

Finman

in my tact 20 [long gone] my accuracy bullet was the 40gn berger match one ragged hole groups and they were destructive when driven hard -but the red mist bullet was the 40 vmax again driven hard.

blitzkings were good and accurate if you didnt have any other choice-but my vote goes to berger-then hornady.

Hi Finman what kind of speed are you getting with 39b/k thanks

27.8gn of N135 with a Fed205M in a Hornady case will send them beauties at 3890fps (it is a .204Ruger mine, in a Sako75 Varmint, factory rifle).

Thanks chaps, that's useful info. The 50gr Berger is too big for my 1:11 twist Pac-Nor, though in a faster twist barrel I'd certainly try it. Finman, my 20Tac load sends the 39gr SBK out at around 3850fps, driven by 23.8gr x N130 and a Rem 7.5 primer.

Tony

Thanks chaps, that's useful info. The 50gr Berger is too big for my 1:11 twist Pac-Nor, though in a faster twist barrel I'd certainly try it. Finman, my 20Tac load sends the 39gr SBK out at around 3850fps, driven by 23.8gr x N130 and a Rem 7.5 primer.

Tony

Hi Tony,

I'm sure foxes don't mind either way, nor do bunnies ;) It can be driven harder, but there is where i get the best accuracy. Made a mistake too, the load is 27.5gn N135, in case anyone wants to try it...Safe in my gun, but I take no responsibility for anyone wanting to try it in their's.

best wishes,

Finman

Hi Tony,

I'm sure foxes don't mind either way, nor do bunnies .............

best wishes,

Finman

Absolutely, Finman, though I suppose I'm talking about the quest for ultimate accuracy, that elusive grail we all spend too much time & money on...

In another current thread, richness speaks favourably of the Nosler 40gr and says his measurements of ogive showed that bullet to be much more consistent than with the Sierra BK; this is interesting, as on Midway UK the Nosler is listed at £2 less per 100 than the SBK, and if it's more consistent too it's worth trying. Total consistency is what I'd like, which is why I take care over case prep, and I want the best bullets too. I doubt if there's any significant difference in terminal effect between these two bullets, but when trying to push out the distance, I feel every little bit helps!

Tony

Absolutely, Finman, though I suppose I'm talking about the quest for ultimate accuracy, that elusive grail we all spend too much time & money on...

In another current thread, richness speaks favourably of the Nosler 40gr and says his measurements of ogive showed that bullet to be much more consistent than with the Sierra BK; this is interesting, as on Midway UK the Nosler is listed at £2 less per 100 than the SBK, and if it's more consistent too it's worth trying. Total consistency is what I'd like, which is why I take care over case prep, and I want the best bullets too. I doubt if there's any significant difference in terminal effect between these two bullets, but when trying to push out the distance, I feel every little bit helps!

Tony

you're not wrong there...This is what my load shoots like out of mine, so I guess I am happy

204no1.jpg

that's why I stopped looking to improve...

best wishes,

Finman

The 39gr Sierra BK is the best bullet for vermin in mid capacity 20 cal cases period. I did read comments somewhere recently that the NBT is also good but I found them not that disruptive when I used 55s in a 22.250 I used to own.

The other bullets that do have a SLIGHT edge accuracy wise over the Sierra is the Berger but even their MEFs are not that disruptive.

I would not waste time and money looking elsewhere, the 39s will shoots .3/.4 in a decent rig, plenty good enough.

A

I regularly get any section 5 bullets in from Midway Bri, If there,s any you fancy, shout up next week....i,ve an order pending.

I can see me spending a fortune at your place on monday. Need all dies and cases and all the other bits. Been reading up and hornady have composed there own powder for 20 cal but is avalible to reloaders

In terms of quality varmint bullets in the 20 calibres, discussion tends to be limited to the 39gr Sierra BK v the Hornady 40gr V-Max. Both these are excellent bullets: I've used the Hornady in .22 centrefires for a long time and found both the 40gr and 55gr provide excellent accuracy & terminal effect. In my 20Tac I've selected the Sierra because during load development it appeared to be marginally more consistent than the Hornady - though I could be mistaken. In the field the Sierra is terrific, very accurate and destructive.

I just wonder whether anyone has tested the alternatives thoroughly. I know Bergers have a solid reputation for accuracy, but it's simply a fact that polymer-tipped bullets have a higher BC and are just all-round better for long range varminting; at least, that's what I've decided after using them for twenty years or so. Last year I played with Barnes Varmint Grenades in my .223 and they did not impress, quite erratic.

I don't hear anything about the Nosler 40gr Ballistic Tip. Anyone tried this in 20 cal? Or anything else...?

Thanks, Tony

I have used the 32 and 39gr Blitzkings, the 32 and 40gr V-max's and the 26gr Varmint Grenades. The worst group (when trying) I have had with any of these bullets has still been under an inch at 100 yards. For shorter range and smaller animals (rabbits etc) i use the Varmint Grenades, Barnes are certainly correct about the Grenade part! For longer ranges beyond 200/250 yards i like the 39gr Blitzkings due to their better wind resistance. I have not used any of the Bergers yet although i do plan too but probably only for target work. Not tried the Nosler's either but i doubt they will show any difference to the 40gr V-max's. Always worth a try though if u are experimenting.

Archived