Flashhole deburring

6.5shooter

Good evening folks,

Just wondered as to what the general consensus is to flashhole deburring/reaming of the small flashhole 6br/6mm x47 and or 6.5x47 lapua cases?

I normally prep all of my brass in all calibres with K and M tools including flashholes and primer pocket seats.

Im not sure as to if its worthwhile on these cases that I have mentioned as there seems to be conflict on the net incase deburring will actually open the flashhole slightly and degrade accuracy.

Id like to hear from you folk on youre experience and findings with flashhole reaming of any cartridge you load for and especially these calibres in question as this topic is aimed at them.

Regards

Garry

Garry, I have no experience with 6mm or 6.5mm but I've been deburring flash-holes for years. Mostly I've always preferred Winchester cases which are good quality but certainly require deburring; I set up my deburring tool (RCBS) very carefully, though, so as to remove the junk on the inside edge without actually reaming the hole any wider or deeper.

With Lapua I thought the consensus was that they did not require deburring - ? Certainly my Dakota/Lapua brass in 20Tac doesn't require it, beautifully finished and load-ready as is.

Tony

I reamed the flash holes and deburred a 300 case lot for a 6mmbr sako i built some time back. It was streets ahead of any other in accuracy terms. I,d borrowed the reamer, and still havent got my own. That needs addressing methinks.Uniformity is King.

Thanks for the replies fellas.

Tony,lapua brass probably is as close to perfect as you can get for factory brass but I always seem to prep my brass anyway wether it needs it or not, just habit I supose.

I have never compared the results to non prepped brass so I dont

Know wether I am gaining a vast amount or little amount but as Dave says uniformity is king and its just in the back of my mind as being one step closer to perfection as I can possibly get. Even though im not a world class shooter its just another little thing that I can rule out if I miss my target that It was not my gun or my ammo IT WAS ME!!

Just wanted to hear peoples opinions on this as on a few website forums in America it seems to be a personal thing really as to wether or not its worth it.

Regards

Garry

I seem to recall that the recommendation from the buffs in the 6mmBR.com was not to ream the hole in the Lapua 6mmBR, just gently remove any internal burr/imperfections in the case. Apparently the consistency of the flashole in the Lapua BR brass is very very good and reaming will only destroy it.

I debur my cases in all calibres, in the large flashole (6.5x55, 7x57) cases, the reamer goes through any way, so it is a case of deburring carefully.

best wishes,

Finman

Opened a new box of 6.5x47 lapua brass lasnight to have a nosey under the light and I was shocked to see 7 out of every 10 pieces had noticeable burrs on the inside of the flashole. Some worse than others and the odd one with a distinct slither or brass covering part of the flashhole.

I think I have just answered my own question as I will definatly be deburring this box for sure.

Regards

Garry

Archived