Moderater question

Hi folks,

Being a moderater shooter I hate shooting my rifles without them, ive goten used to shooting with them and have never went back.

Right, I shoot a 6.5x47 with an s5 type moderater from jackson rifles. I like this one because it is compact although sometimes a little heavy but I like it.

I am

Putting a 6.5x284 barrel onto another rifle and have been told by the riflesmith that my s5 wont be big enough as the expansion chamber is too small and I could experience inaccuracy because of this.

I have been advised to fit a t8 style moderater as it has a larger expansion chamber and will suit this calibre better as it produces quite a large amount of gas to get rid of.

Has anyone else experienced this problem and what moderaters would you suggest for a moderated 6.5x284 cal?

What sort of barrel length should I go for in this cal? I believe 30-32 inches for f class is ideal but this gun will be used for a bit of everything from steel plates, tiny bit of fclass and maybe the odd long range bunny.

I was thinking around 28" or should I go for 30"? Obviously I want as much velocity as poss but dont want a broom stick either. Will I be able to get near 3000 fps with a 28" or would 2900fps be more reasonable.

Regards

Garry

and have been told by the riflesmith that my s5 wont be big enough as the expansion chamber is too small and I could experience inaccuracy because of this.

I'd think about finding a new riflesmith; sounds like you're dealing with a used car salesman who wants to make an extra sale.

Ok thanks guys.

I thought this was the case but I wasnt sure. Theyre a very good moderater and I have the jet z cqb version on my 223 and my swift and am very fond of them. Cant say the same about the t8 style mods although ive never had one they look like a tractor exhaust.

They probably work very well but I think ill stick with the s5.

Thanks

Garry

Archived