US Export licences.

I am in the process of building a 20BR, for which the barrel and stock will be coming from the USA. For what will I need US export permits or is it on a cost basis?.

I am looking to bring in two unchambered barrels from a barrel company and one maybe two stocks from D&B. As far as I was aware no US export documents were needed but I have been told that this is now no longer the case.

A

Maybe Colin can advise on this one?

Iv'e brought quite a few stocks in without any import permit and they came through customs no probs (the last being at the beginning of the year) Barrels, well different matter entirely, could it be an easier alternative to scource one in Europe of here in the UK (Lothar or Border)?

Maybe Colin can advise on this one?

Iv'e brought quite a few stocks in without any import permit and they came through customs no probs (the last being at the beginning of the year) Barrels, well different matter entirely, could it be an easier alternative to scource one in Europe of here in the UK (Lothar or Border)?

Vermincinerator had no real problem with his 22.250 barrel earlier this year but it was routed through a well known custom builder. He was not aware that this would happen at the point of order though.

I am fitting a 20 caliber 1 in 9 twist to shoot 50 grainers. I did ring Border and they don't do it and I think Colin who supplied the action/trigger said the Lothar dont either.

A

No probs, just thinking of an easier way - personally I would use Krieger or Lilja every time ;)

hi Geoff

you can use my import paperwork - i don't have a problem with that(no charge).just give us a bell and i can sort it out or supply you with the correct paperwork.

i think loather do a 20 cal but i think it is just a special and i will have to check.

i think PAC nor do what you are after, but MRY is the best chap to talk to about them

i would go for a lilja over a Krieger every day of the week, i know of a couple of bad barrels that have slipped through the net at Krieger.(but there has been many many good ones) just me being me managed to get one ;)

ATB

Colin ;)

Thats a kind offer from Col.

However, if you decide to go for a lilja, check out there website, as apparently they have our DTI docs on there somewhere, and WILL ship, a SINGLE barrel, to a private individual abroad.

Personally, i would go the easy route, and take Col up on his kind offer, and even though the guy has offered his service for nowt, a gratuity would be nice, as import/export lics cost money.

Arent we supposed to be friends of america? you wouldn,t think so, the way the import/export that which promotes growth and vigour works [or doesn,t]

You would have thought so baldie, Tony and Bill stitched that one up good and proper, they negotiated comprehensive regulations to make it unattractive for individuals to trade with the USA with the advent of the internet.

They didn't reckon on our determination though or the 2 dollars to the pound. ;);)

Ian.

Guest 308Panther
they negotiated comprehensive regulations to make it unattractive for individuals to trade with the USA with the advent of the internet.

Ian.

That statement sure is a mouthful.And its no kidding either.

Its okay for Goober-ments to Trade....but it aint for the people.

And I seem to recall a cerain document that starts out as:

We the People....

That said...wouldnt it be adventageous to both Goober-ments

if we could and do trade freely...after all we are allies.

And have bailed each other out of more jams then most can

get into....But they are soooo worried about Homeland Security.

CNN has released more targets and ways to get to those targets

then we can or or would think of by ourselves.

Its ok for them to talk about these things on public/satelite

tv....but if I do......I am a terrorist.

Go Figure.

308Panther

I have already been warned off Krieger as things are apparantly of late not maybe what they once were. Bartelin have ex krieger guys on board and every thing I have read is good and as a relative newcomers they have a reputation to build. Therefore they may just have an edge. I am sure that Pac -nor or Lilja would make equally good barrels though, we will I suppose see. As long as it shoots in the 4s or 5s that will do but I would hope it should do better.

I have now had two (325WSM & Col48) very kind offers from people with the right UK paperwork to act for me, you are both very kind to offer. Colin is already supplying one of his excellent Lawton 7500 actions for the project but 325WSM was the first to offer so I have already indicted that I may well take his offer up.

What do you need to get your own import licence?.

A

Guest 308Panther
What do you need to get your own import licence?.

A

For starters,

Patience,Money,a good Lawyer and everything in Triplicate. :P

308Panther

The Uk end is easy - a free licence that takes a 3-4 weeks (more or less) but the problems are in the US.

They are getting so uptight regarding guns and componments that most companies just dont want the hassle and so automatically say no to UK enquiries.

Even Ebay.com has had to curtail most gun related items and is now as sparse as the Uk site (or worse) in shooting terms. Even Brass is now banned - let alone bullets and component parts such as barrels and triggers. No doubt scopes and tools will be next.

Even if a supplier will send without the paperwork being processed I was categorically told that they will be doing so illegally and that both the supplier and buyer are responsible. There may well never be any comeback but I would not wish to jepopardise my shooting to save a couple of months or a few quid.

Guest 308Panther

EBay turnin anal on brass and components is sadly just the beginning.

Even our U.S. Postal Service and a couple other shippers(FedEx,UPS) are

trying to get away from handling components and related items as well.

OSHA (Occupational Safety Health Admin) is jumpin on the bandwagon,too

They want to conduct a search and seize policy on customers at retailers

that get within 50 ft of an ammo display.They are after anything that may

produce a spark or flame...either by mechanical means (cig lighters) or

statically (cell phones).

No Smoking within 50 ft of a building that has ammo,ammo displayed,

components for reloading stored or sold for retail.No matter where in the store

the ammo is displayed....

As well as closing down ammo manufactures an X amount of hours before

and after a thunderstorm...

And they want the consumer to pay for the implementation costs

and enforcement to this plan.

Not all of it falls under the "Homeland Security Act"....although that

is as good a place to start as any....

I dont quite understand how they can be so concerned about things going

out of my Country....and show little concern for the things coming

into my Country...like the Chinese junk,illegal aliens,muslamic refugees

and the likes of Winchester importing Russian made .22 lr rifles.

It sucks bein on the inside lookin out ,as much as,bein outside lookin in.

Imagine the damges the other Clinton could do.

308Panther

Guest varmartin

It looks like times are getting very very difficult for the recreational and professional shooter/hunter and not getting any better.

I am not very good with politics or lobbying etc.

Something needs to be done...but what ??

So I say get out and enjoy this sport of ours as much as possible.

Martin

A note on the Richards stocks site says no export paperwork is needed, the stock is classified as wooden sproting goods. Barrels though do but there must be a way round it otherwise all our custom builders will be out of business unless they take to using RPA/Border etc.

A

What you need is a reliable middle man or woman based in the US. Like my cousin Ruth. :D

Gosh she is a generous cousin. She is always sending me as sorts of prezzies and samples or returning my stuff I let over there from my last visit 3 years ago :D

Do explain to her though that helping you out could result in 5 years in the Pen.

Archived