Lamping scope

6.5shooter

Evening all,

Im in the market for a scope for my swift for lamping foxes.

This rifle is goin to be for purely fox under lamp so a good quality scope is needed.

I was thinking along the lines of swarovski because the glass is outstanding and not too big obj lens ( nothing over 50mm as i want a non bulky setup)

There are so many variations of swarovski scopes I dony know which one would be best.

I quite like the idea of their ballistic turret being preset to a few different zeros for 3-4 different ranges, although it will still be treated as a kind of "point an squirt" gun, i still need some sort of way of knowing my drops out to say 300 yards r so.

Does any one have any experiences with thiese scopes for this purpose and maybe able to tell me which one is best suited for this purpose?

Also would I need parallax adjustment?

Garry

I am using a 6-24x50 swaro with a plex ret on a swift.These scopes are cracking scopes bright as a button on the lamp and plenty of power for longrange bunny bashing.There available in to styles one with target turrets and one without.All in all i personally rate them very highly.The 3-18x50 Z6 should be a nice lamping scope also.Cheers sean

Hi Sean,

How do you find the plex reticle? Are the crosshairs fine or thick? Do you think that parallax adjustment is necessary?

Just been checking them out again on the net there and have found the one with the target turrets and parallax adjustment, looks like a fine scope, looks like It would be perfect if I dexided to pluck some long range crows too aswell as lamping.

Does youres have an illuminated reticle or is that only on the z6 range?

Many thanks

Garry

Mine has the fine plex ret,I find it perfect you can see it on the lamp with no problems and is fine enough for longrange crows etc.Paralax adj is a must on high mag scopes.For lamping i leave mine on 12 power and the paralax set at about 125 yards this seems fine for shots from about 50 - 200 yards.For longrange stuff i am always on 24 power and adj the paralax to suit the distance i am shooting.Mine is not illuminated i could not justify the the extra money for something that i would never use.Hopes this helps.ATB Sean

GO-for zeiss,s+b,kahles.swaro.NF -30mm tube -variable of a least 4-16 and 50 or 56 objective.

not in that order but all european glass is the best for the lamp.

Thanks guys,

Just want to make sure I pick the right one before I go breakin open the piggy bank again.

Looked through a mates swaro on his stalking foxing rifle and it makes the glass on my NF scopes seem like a rimfire scope. No comparison in low light.

Going to bite the bullet and buy it the once and be done with it.

Many thanks

Garry

Garry,

Might be worth a quick squiz at Macleods secondhand and used optics list - always a pretty good selection of 'scopes including discounted Swaro's. http://www.rmacleod.co.uk/

If you give them a call ask for Gregor - always helpful, and might have something not yet on the list. I've bought a couple of the AV 6-18 x 50's with the BR reticle off him for my rimfires, 1" tube but excellent picture at night, parallax adjustment on the objective housing - happy shooting bunnies at over a 100m under a lamp with the .17

And there's a 6-24x50 on the for sale board at £850 which is ball-park for these now

There was a Zeiss 6-24x56 on one of the bullie boards for £1300 but I can't find it now - again excellent 'scope with a forgiving parallax but probably too big at 56, you'd also need to consider mounts as the underside of the turret housing isn't flush with the tube, sticks out by 4mm.

That's me,

atb

FBW

Archived