increase in tempreture has messed with my loads!

skany

Hi guys

was out today having a play & my loads that were fine with no sign of pressure at 3-5c are now tight bolt with extractor marks :mad:

this is using varget in 6br

30.2g

wht would u think would be a decent amount to back them off?

cheers Andy

Hi guys

was out today having a play & my loads that were fine with no sign of pressure at 3-5c are now tight bolt with extractor marks :mad:

this is using varget in 6br

30.2g

wht would u think would be a decent amount to back them off?

cheers Andy

Presume weem on 105,s?? Andy---Thought you should have been ok with that but just for your interest I,m running 29.5/140 for 2800 no stress and accurate with 105 Amax.suggest you come down to that with Varget?you aint gonna loose much that matters I reckon.Regds Onehole.

I'm surprised. My experience with Varget is that it's not unduly sensitive to temperature changes: when I hunted groundhogs I went from a cool Devon to a very warm, humid July in Ontario, and my 22-250 standard load (WW brass, Fed210M, V-Max 55gr, approx 36gr of Varget) behaved exactly the same there as here. I got through a couple of hundred rounds with no signs of unusual or atypical pressure. I don't know where you are in UK but surely nowhere is suddenly experiencing subtropical weather! My thermometer outside the kitchen window reads 12 degreesC right now, and the nights are still very chilly with frequent frost. Not doubting you, just wondering whether there might be some other factor at work here...

Tony

Andy,

I was out on friday with my Dad testing out our 6mmbr's. We are using 31gr's varget under the 105gr A-max. We did the load development at calton moor tunnel and were shooting in the sun with no issues at all. Thats with the bullet into the lands.

I have always been under the impression that varget is not a temp sensitive powder as it is a single base powder.

I'm surprised. My experience with Varget is that it's not unduly sensitive to temperature changes: ...

Tony

Absolutely agree Tony, in fact Varget is known for its temp stability. 95% of NRA shooters here use it and it's not even considered when setting your elevations.

I feel it's some other variable that caused this

Chris-NZ

Hi guys

dave

yes 105g (10tho off lands)amax mate i fired off 5 out of this batch early sat morn without a problem altho it was cooler for sure!

the sun was out but it wasent exactly cooking hot just 16c!

I know my load wasent a million miles off the hot side as .3g more gave me a tight bolt!

Im thinking my tube/was getting warm as i spanked off half a dozen of another bullet(55g noslers) before i went on to the 105s again!

would .3 be enough of a back off do u think?

cheers Andy

would .3 be enough of a back off do u think?

cheers Andy

Personally I don,t like to be anywhere near "hot" Andy and not sure whether .3 is gonna get you away from your problem.I remember when I was doing F class down her at Millpool I ran with Varget and 30.5 and in the "summer" this gave me same signs as you mention here.The little BRN has its limits so be kind to the little fella? You haven,t been running any RL15 in your rifle as well have you??and coked up your neck/throat area?

Personally I don,t like to be anywhere near "hot" Andy and not sure whether .3 is gonna get you away from your problem.I remember when I was doing F class down her at Millpool I ran with Varget and 30.5 and in the "summer" this gave me same signs as you mention here.The little BRN has its limits so be kind to the little fella? You haven,t been running any RL15 in your rifle as well have you??and coked up your neck/throat area?

Hi

dave

no no rl powders & im only 233 rnds in so far

ill back it off a bit more & cross my fingers!

to be fair it shot every powder charge very well all the way to pressure so i should be ok !

cheers Andy

Hi

dave

no no rl powders & im only 233 rnds in so far

ill back it off a bit more & cross my fingers!

to be fair it shot every powder charge very well all the way to pressure so i should be ok !

cheers Andy

Andy what primers are you using ? Mag, Br

Skany,

Like everyone has already posted, I'd doubt .3 grs lower will get you away from the danger zone. With that size round, a full grain or two backed down will not affect velocity that much and would be a lot safer (IMHO).

TonyH,

Just a note in reference to your experience with Varget; you mentioned no difference when temperature was different, but I have to ask... Was the elevation significantly different from Ontario and home? Some times I think people erroneously attribute pressure changes to temperature, and forget altitude plays a significant role in pressures as well.

JMTCW...

BTW, might also check case length. It can cause pressure spikes as well (if too long)...

TonyH,

Just a note in reference to your experience with Varget; you mentioned no difference when temperature was different, but I have to ask... Was the elevation significantly different from Ontario and home? Some times I think people erroneously attribute pressure changes to temperature, and forget altitude plays a significant role in pressures as well..

Good point - though on checking, there's little difference in elevation between my home patch (around 600-700 feet) and the parts of SW Ontario where I was hunting, just south of Lake Huron/Georgian Bay, which seem to be around 900 feet and up a little. But it was a lot warmer.

Tony

Archived