The right load for crows

Jackdaw

My longest crow was 340 yards (with a 22-250) but I don't shoot a lot of them, tricky damn things. Musy try more this year, using bait/decoys... Given that they're so sneaky, easily spooked, don't hang about while you rangefind them, and so on, I suggest a flat-shooting calibre is a priority. And big projectiles aren't needed, since beneath those feathers there's hardly anything to them. Anything in .17 to .22 cal, using a high BC bullet at good velocity - Hornady V-Max in 40, 50 or 55gr blasts them to bits, literally. I think .20 calibres might be ideal, with small fast high-BC bullets that shoot very flat; will see how my 20Tac deals with the corvids this spring...

Tony

.243 acley are no good for crow as they will not kill them

here is the proof

sorry if you have seen this before

My longest crow was 340 yards (with a 22-250) but I don't shoot a lot of them, tricky damn things. Musy try more this year, using bait/decoys... Given that they're so sneaky, easily spooked, don't hang about while you rangefind them, and so on, I suggest a flat-shooting calibre is a priority. And big projectiles aren't needed, since beneath those feathers there's hardly anything to them. Anything in .17 to .22 cal, using a high BC bullet at good velocity - Hornady V-Max in 40, 50 or 55gr blasts them to bits, literally. I think .20 calibres might be ideal, with small fast high-BC bullets that shoot very flat; will see how my 20Tac deals with the corvids this spring...

Tony

I think we have been reading from the instruction manual.

Light, fast and flat. Hence my preference for the .17 Coupled with a Leupold Varmint reticle.

Anything centerfire from 17 upwards using Vmax. SBKs or NBTs. My current favorite is the 39gr SBK in 20 cal, last crow was in 5 bits all be it at about 70 yards. 65gr Vmax is good crow medicine in 6mm.

A

Archived