Which neck reamer suits 6mmBR Lapua brass ?

londonhunter

Hi guys

I am about to order a barrel for a single shot hunting rifle

I plan to use this for 300m mountain sheep hunting.

105 grain projectile (likely Berger VLD)

1 in 8 twist

Without going to the expense of tight necks or Dasher

which neck size has to least tolorence with the latest lapua brass ?

People that I have spoken to tend to gravitate towards a 272 neck is the concenses with you folks ?

Any other tips or advice you want to share witht the above parameters ?

Like throating specifically for VLD's

Thanks

It will be a 24 inch tube

Thanks

My 6BR has a no turn neck and this indeed is a .272"

Cheers

Dave

Thank you for sharing

I have just measureed a new box of Lapua brass loaded with 6mm VLD hunt and it measures 0.269" -

I am happy to purchase more of the same batch to ensure consistency

Does that mean I should order a 269 chamber to have the least tolerence in the chamber ?

Or to put it another way

To have the least clerance (0.001 rather than 0.003) will result in less variation and likely to give the best consistency between rounds leaving other factors constant as far as possible ?

Sorry am I making sense ?

Thank you for sharing

I have just measureed a new box of Lapua brass loaded with 6mm VLD hunt and it measures 0.269" -

I am happy to purchase more of the same batch to ensure consistency

Does that mean I should order a 269 chamber to have the least tolerence in the chamber ?

Or to put it another way

To have the least clerance (0.001 rather than 0.003) will result in less variation and likely to give the best consistency between rounds leaving other factors constant as far as possible ?

Sorry am I making sense ?

No!! you need a "272" neck the 3 thou clearance is spot on and perfectly ok.Your chamber neck is more likely to be a tad more than 272 perhaps 272.5 once machined.Unless you plan to neck turn etc "272" is the way to go unless I am corrected by the learned smithys on here,regds Onehole.

No!! you need a "272" neck the 3 thou clearance is spot on and perfectly ok.Your chamber neck is more likely to be a tad more than 272 perhaps 272.5 once machined.Unless you plan to neck turn etc "272" is the way to go unless I am corrected by the learned smithys on here,regds Onehole.

Thanks for sharing

I had the same hunch

I am very tempted to go even tighter 271 leaving 0.001 either side for clearance.

Any input from somebody with REAL 271 experience here ?

I am asure that the reamer is reltaively new

Thanks for sharing

I had the same hunch

I am very tempted to go even tighter 271 leaving 0.001 either side for clearance.

Any input from somebody with REAL 271 experience here ?

I am asure that the reamer is reltaively new

this is the same as having a fitted neck , i would go with .272 and enjoy it

Most gunsmiths will have a .272 reamer if you spec a .271 chamber your barreling job will cost you an extra £150 for a custom ground reamer.

I doubt you would be able to tell the differnce of .001 in the accuracy department.

Cheers

Dave

Mine is also a .272' and I am delighted with it. never shot factory rounds though it. The danger of needing to neck turn is enough to order a .272'neck and have peace of mind...

best wishes,

Finman

most of the newer blue boxed lapua brass has thiner necks(comes out @ .2675"-268 & a 272 neck would be a bit to bagy for my liking!

i grabed a couple of old boxed lapua to suit my 272 neck so im hoping that will last out my tube!

have a look on 6br fourum theres pages of stuff on the new boxed lapua brass!

cheers Andy

most of the newer blue boxed lapua brass has thiner necks(comes out @ .2675"-268 & a 272 neck would be a bit to bagy for my liking!

i grabed a couple of old boxed lapua to suit my 272 neck so im hoping that will last out my tube!

have a look on 6br fourum theres pages of stuff on the new boxed lapua brass!

cheers Andy

Yes I read that too

My friend was up at Hannan's a few weeks ago and they had 30 boxes in stock

So he being in the trade manage to measure 03 random boes without damaging them and what was reported on 6MMBR does not apply to european stock only he batch that went through GRAFF

I have 03 boxes of old lapua brasses as well and the consistency is the same

I sense the conclusion from this is

it is easily to goggle on the net about shooting stuff but there are a lot of bullshit around even on 6mmBR.com

im using "older lapua brass " my necks come out at .268[loaded] and .270 fired.i assume my chamber is a .272? this is with no turn brass.i would go .272 if i was you you could neck turn just to clean up the brass and use the correct bushing-or leave well alone and enjoy your shooting.

My 6mmbr is a .272 neck and shoots the 105gr A-max in the .1's

May I ask what build spec you are going for, and what influenced your choice for the 6mmbr?

I love this round, it is just a little loopy if not dialing in.

ATB

Dave

Hi

I too love this round

My first custom rifle some 05 years ago

A blue printed remmy in 6mmBR

I came across this round after spending a few days in a bench rest club in Canada

I was hooked at 100 yards !

Niavely not knowly its potential

I went to Bisley after picked up the rifle and astounded to group 2 inches at 300 yards

Never seen anything like it

I used this rifle for 02 seasons after the barrels was shot after some 3500 rounds mainly on paper.

I then rebarrelled it to 6 x 47 Lapua

I must confess it was such a disappointment.

Not beacuse of the round but I now think its was of my inexperience in reloading.

Hopefully I have improved my technique

Now I want to relive what I enjoy a 6mmBR hunting rifle

I hunt with a single shot Blaser K95

I recently had an accident in Bisley whereby the silencer came lose after a session. The barrel was damaged

Hence I am in the market for a new barrel

Since open seasons limited took over the Blaser agency the new price for a replacement barrel is £1350

I have a german friend who last week put me in touch with an austrian gunsmith who has since agreed to build me a cusomt one off barrel in anything I want

Hence I posted this thread

I think I will go for a 271 neck since extraction is never a problem

I will neck turn if that is needed

I don't think there is such a large variation in old and new lapua brass however I have come across many threads in the US about this.

1 in 8 twist

Throated for 105 VLD hunt

60 cm length barrel

Target crown

No iron sights

Retaining original Blaser mount base

Total price 950 euros all inclusive

delivery time for this custom project 04 weeks (yes FOUR weeks)

My rifle is going over this weekend.

Can't wait till it comes back

Thanks all for sharing this thread

If its helps there are 02 reamer prints from Pacific Tools for new and old Lapua brass

New Lapua Brass reamer print

Old USA brass reamer print

My 6mmbr is a .272 neck and shoots the 105gr A-max in the .1's

May I ask what build spec you are going for, and what influenced your choice for the 6mmbr?

I love this round, it is just a little loopy if not dialing in.

ATB

Dave

hi dave

try some 55g noslers in it mate!

they will be a mile off the lands but id put cash on them shooting bug holes!

if i zero with amax's & then bung a 55g nosler (@3800fps ish !!think 22-250 flatness)in it hits bang on 1" high @ 100 wich takes me out to 280yds ish point & squirt!

ive been doing a bit of crow shooting from the window of the truck the noslers really get the job done:-)

cheers Andy

Skany, I may just try those 55 grainers on that info. I was alway under the impression I would be pissing into the wind by chasing the lands having gone with a 105 throat.

London Hunter,

What a lovely set up you have. I appreciate the single shot rifle and am the proud owner of a Thomson Centre Encore. I just wish I could get hold of the barrels our fellow US shooters have access to. The blaser was rather out of my price range :wub:

Archived