Viht Powders

Elwood

Morning Ian, generally Vit powders are very good.

I've found with N135 and N160 that changing lots made no real variation in fps delivered.

Can't speak so much for the 5 series double based powders.

Last year I used 3 seperate lots of N550 in my match rifle and had comparable results with them.

at the Imperial meeting was chatting with a load of match rifle shooters (N550 being the most used powders)and some expressed that the new at the time 2009 lot numbers were running a bit hotter.

I've not got any to test but my old 2007/2008 lots were very close.

I would say you shouldn't have any issues but perhaps try a few slightly reduced over the chrono first.

Cheers

Dave

In my experience the Viht powders are pretty consistant lot to lot never had to adjust a load anyway. Does anyone know of a supply of norma powders here?

Norma brass & powders used to be handled (along with other stuff like Rottweil) by an outfit tucked away in the backwoods down a maze of lanes near Liskeard (yes, I managed to navigate myself there once) and these days they're called RUAG Ammotec, for some reason. Helpful bloke who's run it for quite a few years.

Re Vihtavuori, I've used their powders in various calibres for a long time and while I wouldn't swear to it, lot to lot variability is as good as any other brand, generally high QC levels.

Tony

Hi Ian

A mate of mine buys say 5 tubs of his current favourite powder empties the lot into a bucket and mixes it all up then decants it back into tubs. He says that it makes it more consistant.

Hi Ian, as Gazzer said I would just empty the two pots into one, blend together and then replace in the original pots. That way there is no discrepancy.

Never had an issue with N140.

Hi Ian

A mate of mine buys say 5 tubs of his current favourite powder empties the lot into a bucket and mixes it all up then decants it back into tubs. He says that it makes it more consistant.

Hi Garry, I do this with RL25 as it varies so much.

I'm half way through one tub of 560 and the rifle is shooting very well on it, I might just take the plunge and mix the two lots and hope it still shoots!

Archived