RL17 results in 6.5x47

Guest richness

No Dave, it was not chris??, He shot a fifty fifty at the mcqweens???

and he does a lot with 22 practical

Hi Garry, Thanks a lot for doing this,, i an looking forwaed to trying them??,,

Just loaded some rounds at 38.3 instead of 38.6!!! might be easyer on the cases??

I will be happy if i get the same accuracy??,

how are you getting on with yours?

all the best lads, Darrel

Darrell,

No problem, you might aswell test them because i aint had much time to lately.

Ill try and get them off to you in the mornin.

They have been molyd so you might get away with the same kind of powder charge even though they are slightly heavier. Note, they have a pointier nose so they might be a bit more fussy for seating depth.

Getting on well with my 47, last testing i got done was 38.8 gr re15 seated 15thou off. As from my original load of 38.3 10 thou in. This new load is showing the same accuracy with a bit more velocity out of my 27" barrel of 2940.

My findings are thar the 123 scenars dont seem to be as sensitive to seating depth as i originally thought.

Has anyone else found this?

What did everyone else find for the 123's seating depth?

Regards

Garry

PS, onehole i will do some measurements and get them posted,, barrel is now on about 1500 rounds,,,

Should be interesting????

Darrell,

No problem, you might aswell test them because i aint had much time to lately.

Ill try and get them off to you in the mornin.

They have been molyd so you might get away with the same kind of powder charge even though they are slightly heavier. Note, they have a pointier nose so they might be a bit more fussy for seating depth.

Getting on well with my 47, last testing i got done was 38.8 gr re15 seated 15thou off. As from my original load of 38.3

10 thou in. This new load is showing the same accuracy with a bit more velocity out of my 27" barrel of 2940.

My findings are thar the 123 scenars dont seem to be as sensitive to seating depth as i originally thought.

Has anyone else found this?

What did everyone else find for the 123's seating depth?

Regards

Garry

Guest richness

Ronin, I see what you mean re case life at 3100 but isn't the whole point of rl17 that you get more fps without the extra pressure, by the powder burning in a different and more efficient manner? In my 243and 6.5 both, I've got extra fps without extra damage to primer etc.

3100 with rl15 and I'd be chewing primer but rl17 it's easy and actually easier on the primer (by eye at least) than the rl15 load was at 2960

ATVB Richard

Went up to North wales today to test some loads for the 6.5x47 Lapua.

Rifle = Accuracy international, Border Barrel - fluted 27'' (new rifle - only 150 rds fired)

Bullet = 123 gr Lapua.

Powder = RL 15 - 38.5gr

Primer = CCI 450

And noted some interesting results - my chamber seems to be very tight, with COL of 2.72 the rounds are well into lands and closing the bolt is a little tight.

velocity's were averaging = 2959 fps

Some of the primers showed pressure signs with cratering and had one primer pop.

Accuracy was good 5 rds one of which was pulled:-

photo.jpg

Would be interested on everyones thoughts ?

Kind Regards

Rob

Is the bolt tight on an empty unfired, new case ?

Was the case full length sized before loading ?

Hi Dave,

The brass was all brand new and chamber cleaned.

Bolt not tight on empty case.

Checked the chamber of the rifle and its happy with cases around 2.68 COL - much more than that and the bullet starts bighting in the lands of the rifling and one one occasion I attempted to extract the round and out came the case, powder all over the place and the round was stuck in the barrel.

Regards

Rob

Surely your mistaken Rob

An Accuracy International with a TIGHT chamber....... :lol:

They are usually slack as a ......

Surely your mistaken Rob

An Accuracy International with a TIGHT chamber....... :lol:

They are usually slack as a ......

It was a custom build from Sporting Services with barrel from Border Barrels.

Will verlocitys drop off as barrel breaks in ?

Should I have the chamber re cut ? Or leave as is ?

I think there maybe a confusion of terms here.

Rob, you say "tight chamber" but then describe rounds chambering easily but getting stuck in the rifling.

I think you might mean "insufficient leade" or "insufficient freebore" -for the projectile shape and/or OAL you are using.

I suspect the simple answer to 'not get them stuck in the rifling' is to seat the rounds shorter. :)

I have the same thing with mine, an oal of 2.69 with a 140 amax is just touching the lands. It shoots so well I don't want to go messing with it and I want to try 95 vmax at some point and it means they won't have to jump far, if at all. If it shoots well just do as brown dog said and seat them a bit shorter, that's all I do.

Guest richness

Ronin, I see what you mean re case life at 3100 but isn't the whole point of rl17 that you get more fps without the extra pressure, by the powder burning in a different and more efficient manner? In my 243and 6.5 both, I've got extra fps without extra damage to primer etc.

3100 with rl15 and I'd be chewing primer but rl17 it's easy and actually easier on the primer (by eye at least) than the rl15 load was at 2960

ATVB Richard

Yep, it shot great in the field today. Primers way short of being in any sort of trouble. 3100+ noticeably better in the wind than standard 2950fps load. RL17 was worth the effort

Off the top of my head, i think the std 6.5x47 reamer has a 0.090" leade. This is optimised for the 123 grain bullet. The smith has to ask for the other leade of 0.150" which is for the 139 range. I would bet most smiths are using the former.

Yep, it shot great in the field today. Primers way short of being in any sort of trouble. 3100+ noticeably better in the wind than standard 2950fps load. RL17 was worth the effort

It was interesting seeing the RL17 behind those 123g Scenars compared to my RL15 load. They required 0.25MOA less windage and elevation than mine at 300yds+. Obviously this will be exaggerated further down range too. The primers looked no different to mine with 38.3g RL15 running 2950 vs yours at 3100+. Very impressive results Rich and I think time will tell us a lot from your findings especially on the case life.

Good shooting with you yesterday.

Regards,

Si

Guest richness

It was interesting seeing the RL17 behind those 123g Scenars compared to my RL15 load. They required 0.25MOA less windage and elevation than mine at 300yds+. Obviously this will be exaggerated further down range too. The primers looked no different to mine with 38.3g RL15 running 2950 vs yours at 3100+. Very impressive results Rich and I think time will tell us a lot from your findings especially on the case life.

Good shooting with you yesterday.

Regards,

Si

Thanks mate :) I generally replace cases after about 8firings, during which time i will have annealed twice. I confidently predict, now i'm on 5x, that 8x will be absolutely no problem at all. Everything is tight at the mo (the primers still need a v good squeeze to get them seated) and case growth is essentially zero. In fact, i may go to 10x with 6.5x47 at this rate.

Question marks over Alliant's consistency lot to lot are IMO justified, although not as bad IME as some say, but RL17 does gives you more fps without more pressure or case wear, from what i can see. I think Alliant powder is seen as a bit iffy and therefore there is some resistance to RL17? Anyway, that's not my problem -it's doing grand for me :D

The only time i saw primers pockets get really hammered was when i tried magnum LR primers in a hot 243 load; that toasted the pockets in 2 firings. I was worried about using magnums in 6.5x47 but i suppose with it being a SR primer, we're got a big headstart WRT pocket life.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest richness

Something happening with that RL17 then and great to have some idea of where to start when I have a go but am desperate to run a cleaner powder than RL15 and will be trying Vit 140 and 150 soon under the 123 Amax.I know I wont get the velocity but happy to compromise on that one for a longer and accurate round count but may look to 540/550 if speed is really lacking.I,m with you on groups 100 is a waste of time other than a onehole which usually dont grow a lot by 200 in good conditions.Thanks for the tests they were very interesting.Will be trying the "140" tomorrow under some stonking accurate 123Amax heads will post up results good or bad in due course.cheers Onehole.

Onehole, i've been thinking of your fouling concerns of late and have some observations for you mate. Si and I have both got trueflites that are well run in now. I'm at 535rounds and he's probably about 400. We're both finding that after an afternoon on the hill shooting rabbits (perhaps 20-40shots) that we are getting almost no fouling mate. I'm putting a boresnake down before i get in the car, then 2patches of KG1 at home and it's done mate. Si-snipe is finding the same with his . He's using RL15 and I'm using RL17. So my thoughts are that you don't really need to be too worried about a cleaner powder?

HTH Richard

Onehole, i've been thinking of your fouling concerns of late and have some observations for you mate. Si and I have both got trueflites that are well run in now. I'm at 535rounds and he's probably about 400. We're both finding that after an afternoon on the hill shooting rabbits (perhaps 20-40shots) that we are getting almost no fouling mate. I'm putting a boresnake down before i get in the car, then 2patches of KG1 at home and it's done mate. Si-snipe is finding the same with his . He's using RL15 and I'm using RL17. So my thoughts are that you don't really need to be too worried about a cleaner powder?

HTH Richard

Thanks for that.Yeah KG1 may have been the answer?My problem was a build up if I only used cleaning solutions and patches and no brush work.I,m talking "carbon fouling only" being the problem as I have never seen any blue from my barrel.Running 540 was definately cleaner and if I was to keep the rifle[up for sale at mo]I would stay with the Vit powders.

Just out of interest when you run a patch in your throat area do you ever feel a tightness there compared to the rest of the barrel??I feel nothing with the Vit powders but over extended use of RL powder it definately feels tighter and has to be brushed cleaned each time.Russell Gall warned of using RL15 which can be dirty.Just my experience with my lot of RL15 others may be different I guess all good fun init. Thanks again for your experiences ,kind rgds Onehole.

Guest richness

Thanks for that.Yeah KG1 may have been the answer?My problem was a build up if I only used cleaning solutions and patches and no brush work.I,m talking "carbon fouling only" being the problem as I have never seen any blue from my barrel.Running 540 was definately cleaner and if I was to keep the rifle[up for sale at mo]I would stay with the Vit powders.

Just out of interest when you run a patch in your throat area do you ever feel a tightness there compared to the rest of the barrel??I feel nothing with the Vit powders but over extended use of RL powder it definately feels tighter and has to be brushed cleaned each time.Russell Gall warned of using RL15 which can be dirty.Just my experience with my lot of RL15 others may be different I guess all good fun init. Thanks again for your experiences ,kind rgds Onehole.

Had the problem with my 204R (archer barrel. RL15 used) I wasn't cleaning the carbon out aggressively enough and was mistakenly worrying about the copper instead. Did indeed feel that stiffness in first couple of inches with the brush. i thought barrel was shot out as it was fouling (the carbon ring was grabbing copper badly too) but i JB'd and solved it no probs and now I have switched to the amazing KG1 carbon remover now and it keeps it at bay. Will keep an eye open these days for that stiffness. I didn't blame the powder myself; i just felt that i had been using the wrong cleaning products and had got myself into trouble.

Had the problem with my 204R (archer barrel. RL15 used) I wasn't cleaning the carbon out aggressively enough and was mistakenly worrying about the copper instead. Did indeed feel that stiffness in first couple of inches with the brush. i thought barrel was shot out as it was fouling (the carbon ring was grabbing copper badly too) but i JB'd and solved it no probs and now I have switched to the amazing KG1 carbon remover now and it keeps it at bay. Will keep an eye open these days for that stiffness. I didn't blame the powder myself; i just felt that i had been using the wrong cleaning products and had got myself into trouble.

I think I,m gonna get some KG1 and use it generally as part of my cleaning regime on all my rigs,seems to work for a lot of people so go with the flow I think.Thanks again,Onehole.

Archived