Rangefinders

Normally range finders will work in both units.

I prefer yards as thats the way I calculate things ie using MOA etc.

A mate of mine on the range was sruggling to hit ETR targets out to 600-1000 yards, he had a German scope with clicks in cm or miiliradians, I gave up in the end I could not correlate yards to meters and inches to cm's. So really its a matter of whats easiest for you. When mastered metric or imperial will work equally well.

Cheers

Dave

Like the rest here i use yards ,at the monent looking to purchace a more compact rangefinder as the Bushnell Yardage pro is a bit big and bulky

Swarowski monocular is switchable bettween the two, but it stays on yards.

Guest Smeagle

Gonna have to buck the trend here, they usually are either and you set them, mine is set to meters. It is more precise on the ballistics charts especially at the longer ranges and it can easily be converted to GPS coordinates etc. It makes your map reading easier and calculations of distance over topography easier and as I said most precise ballistics charts and clicks work better in meters.

You should get used to using them in meters.

Gonna have to buck the trend here, they usually are either and you set them, mine is set to meters. It is more precise on the ballistics charts especially at the longer ranges and it can easily be converted to GPS coordinates etc. It makes your map reading easier and calculations of distance over topography easier and as I said most precise ballistics charts and clicks work better in meters.

You should get used to using them in meters.

I have to agree with that, also a factor to consider is the type of reticle you have in your scope. If it is Miliradian based then it makes sence to do all your measurements in meters. the maths can be done in your head providing you can cope with the 10 times table. same goes for the adjustment value should you be using a scope with adjustable BDC.

Which scope are you working with?

whichever you choose, you should match reticle to rangefiner, this will cut out any inconsistency in your calculating.

Some of the rangefinders can be swapped between the both systems, some are yards or meters only.

check before you buy.

DeltaV

• 3 years later...

Hi, I have the Leica LRF 800 the older version of their rangefinders...Settable In both meters and yards, as I know yards better from sports like fooball and cricket thats what i stick with...Incidentally I could do with a neoprene case for the rangefinder if anyone knows of one...Thanks

Hi, I have the Leica LRF 800 the older version of their rangefinders...Settable In both meters and yards, as I know yards better from sports like fooball and cricket thats what i stick with...Incidentally I could do with a neoprene case for the rangefinder if anyone knows of one...Thanks

I use Nikon LRF 800, they are great, they have the option to use either yards or meters, but like most ,they stay on yards as i find it easyier for myself to work out distances and drop/windage values. Its a personal choise as i dont see that one is better then the other or any more accurate in a ballistic program for that matter. All my ballistic programs are set to yards and they will all read as accurate as 0.01 in.Even the click values are spot on.

So ignore that one is better or more accurate than the other, it all comes down to what works with you and what you can use more accuratly and comftably in your head and make sense off, like a LHD car and a RHD car, both as good as each other but down to what you prefer.

Hope this help mate

ATB

Steve :wacko::rolleyes:

The metric system makes so much more sense all round but I just can't bring myself to use it for everything. I do mapwork in metric but describe someone's height or make a target rifle wind call in imperial. Most shooters talk in imperial and most ranges are imperial. But then what about a range in metric. 1200 metres is not 1200 yards (112 yards difference). Now imagine if the NRA changed to metric. That'd confuse people for years. This is before we start talking about metric and imperial scope reticles and adjustments.

Bloody hell... :wacko:

Archived