95 hornady ballistic tips

with either re15 or varget at 38.6

very good load,, av 3100 fps

good fox load,,,

Also h4350 at 41.8 gave very good results

either with the senars or the 95 b/tips

Varget has performed very good indeed, and it is easy to get hold of,,

The only thing that i did find is that this calibre likes to run hot

and that some of my best loads are hard on cases,, and the rifle will not group very good without using

cci450 mag primers,,

At the moment i am trying loads that are backed off very slightly, to ease up a bit on my cases???

Have got 14 fireings on one batch of cases with only four cases thrown,, these cases are used for my varminting and foxing,,,

Hope this is of some help to someone??

Barrel now on 1500 rounds and still shoots bug holes,,,,

Darrel

Interesting. I've just started with this cartridge and loving it already. I've been using 140 amax with 39 N550 with promising results so far. I want to try the 95 vmax so ran your 38.6 varget load through quickload. The predicted pressures are well within limits, you say your rifle "likes to run hot" are you getting pressure signs with that load? Many thanks

Interesting. I've just started with this cartridge and loving it already. I've been using 140 amax with 39 N550 with promising results so far. I want to try the 95 vmax so ran your 38.6 varget load through quickload. The predicted pressures are well within limits, you say your rifle "likes to run hot" are you getting pressure signs with that load? Many thanks

Hi matey,,

I do not get preasure signs with these loads,, but then again i have seen people getting preasure signs

a lot lower than the loads that i use??. I think that this is the differance from barrel to barrel and what reamer the barrel has been cut with??

The cases that i thrown away started to get loose primer pockets after nearly 14 firings,, so it is not to bad,,,

I do get cratering on the primers but i believe that this is due to the large firing pin dia on my accuracy international??, was in 308 when i bought it,,,

Some people do have the firing pin bushed??, but to me it makes no differance and is not worth spending any money,,

The more i use the 6.5x47 the more i like it!!!, i can use it for benchrest at 100, 600, 1000, and for deer, fox, and varminting,,you just got to love it,,,

If it was just for deer and target shooting, i think that i might of gone for the 260 rem, as it just as the edge with the heaver bullets???, I have not tried the 140 grain bullets in mine?, but i do believe that some people have had good results???.

I have just added another spare 6.5x47 barrel on my ticket,, and i am more that happy with mine!!!,,

Do try the 95 grian bullets as they are awesome and will bring a smile to your face ;)

As Ray says, Nothing smacks like a v-max!!!!

Darrel

• 1 month later...

I am shooting a 1-9 twist shilen 26".The load i am using is 39gr of RL15 and a 120gr sierra matchking.Groups average around .3/.5 it seems to be not to hot load with only some slight cratering of the primer.The same load with a 95gr v max on top also shoots well.I have just bought some 123gr sierras and wil try to test them on the weekend.I weighed some of 123gr and they only varied 0.2 gr so hopefuly they wil shoot as well as the 120gr.Ialso weighed some 123gr scenars the average weight was 123.7gr where as the matchkings were 122.8-123gr.ATB SEAN

Need to try those 95 V-Maxs Darrel as this was the pissy hole the 123 Scenar drilled through two "pest birds" on Sunday. Waited til they were both lined up at ~180yds and let one go. Sconed both but the hole was less than impressive. Those Scenars are pretty hard it seems.

Pest-Modded.jpg

Chris-NZ

PS. You won't find this species in any reference book, well not at least in those colours.. ;)

• 1 month later...

Thought I'd share my 6.5x47 loads so far.

39gr N550

140 amax

rem 7.5 primer

oal 2.69

2780fps

26 pacnor barrel

37.9 Varget

123 amax

rem 7.5

oal 2.7

2940 fps

26" pacnor barrel

41.4 H4350

123 amax

cci 450

2.71 oal

fps unknown at present but suspect slightly faster than Varget load above

SUBSONIC

9.3 IMR Trailboss

160gr hornady roundnose

2.67 oal

well sub MOA but drops like a stone :lol: (23mils elevation at 450 from 60yd zero)

43.7 H4350

95 vmax

cci450

2.55 oal

@3250fps

41.7 H4350

123 scenar

cci450

oal 2.732

@2980fps

Most accurate load so far

If anyone tries these loads I'd be very interested in your results.

A new varminting load I am currently working on:

140g Amax

40.0g RL 17

CCI 450

2.120" OAL to comparitor (ogive)

Velocity - 2910 f/s from 26" barrel (but needs to be confirmed as I only had one round for the chrono)

RL 17 is seriously quick!

• 1 year later...

Rifle: Dolphin

30" Lilja 8 twist barrel

Barnard SM action

123 grn Lapua Scenar

38.2 grn

CCI BR4 primer

123 grn Lapua Scenar

40.2 grn RL17 and Elcho 17

CCI BR4 primer

123 grn Lapua Scenar

38.1 grn TR140

CCI BR4 primer

123 grn Lapua Scenar

38.3 grn Viht N550

CCI BR4 primer

139 grn Lapua Scenar

40.3 grn RL17 and Elcho 17

CCI BR4 primer

All these give ~ 2900 fps and amazing acuaracy.

It took ages to work these loads up.

• 5 months later...

Started getting some gear together for my future rebarrel to 6.5x47 lap and need some advice on best primers to use, at the moment I have plenty of Remmy 7.5 but have noticed that quite a few of you guys are using CCi450 mag primers. What works best gents?

Thanks, Tony.

Started getting some gear together for my future rebarrel to 6.5x47 lap and need some advice on best primers to use, at the moment I have plenty of Remmy 7.5 but have noticed that quite a few of you guys are using CCi450 mag primers. What works best gents?

Thanks, Tony.

Rem 71/2 br primers work well! They are one of the hottest burning magnum primers in a small rifle primer.

Archived