260 rem twist rate

is there any 260 remy users on here ?? my mate is having one built and iam trying to find out the best twist rate for him to use,the rilfe will be used for deer and hes looking at using 120gr interbonds,I have been reading an article I find on the net reagrding the twist of the 260

The .260 Remington is another victim of a bungled twist rate. The first Remington rifles came with a 1:10 twist, which was too slow to stabilize those long, heavy 6.5mm bullets. Remington switched to a 1:9 twist rate, but it was still too slow and provided iffy accuracy at best with 140-grain bullets. A 1:8 twist rate is a much better choice for the .260. Consequently, this phenomenal hunting and target round has languished in obscurity until recently because it was crippled from the start with the wrong twist rate.

so if anyone who users one could commnet would be helpfull

thank you

Hi,

I have a 6.5x47 which is ballisticly similar.

Mine is 1in8.5.

It was made to throw the 123 scenars but it will shoot 120-130 grain range well.

Im told it will also shoot the heavier 140's aswell but havent tried yet as i think the 120-130 are better suited.

Although for larger deer the 140 gr bullet may be needed so i think if he has a 1 in 8 or 8.5 he shouldnt be far off the mark.

Regards.

Garry

Both a 1 in 8" and a 1 in 8.5" will work Pete, i,ve built .260,s with both, depending on customer choice. Border only make the archer in 8.5 and it doesn,t hamper a .260, even with 140,s. Your mate should have no trouble with 120,s. In fact, the 1 in 8.5 would technically be better. There is an old saying that says "never spin a bullet faster than you need to " and its very true.

Mine is 1:9 ; fitted originally by PRS, it shoots 120 NBT with stupid small groups if I do the right thing , and... It drops Roe , Fallow & Charlie DRT. I guess it depends on the weight of bullet but I've used both 100's and 120's with equally good results.

Just my tuppence worth.

Best

Peter

Ive built several 260's and 260AI, plus a heap of other 6.5mm's intening to use 120 - 140 grainers.

Barrels have all been either 1.85 or 1.9 twist.

I wouldnt go for faster than a 1-8.

The reamer was set for 130g Norma VLD for a specific request.

I understand that the rifle is delivering 150 - 200fps extra over standard chamber and similar weight bullet.(similar gains to any other improved chamber)

Feeds from mag, not hard on brass.

The reamer was set for 130g Norma VLD for a specific request.

I understand that the rifle is delivering 150 - 200fps extra over standard chamber and similar weight bullet.(similar gains to any other improved chamber)

Feeds from mag, not hard on brass.

thats will do,and with RL17 pushing a 120gr Interbond should do the job nice

The problem i,ve had with the Ackley in .260 is that there aren,t any dies to match the shoulder angle. The redding ones dont. I,ve had to make dies for them.

That would have done the reamer no favours.

I use Newlon Dies for custom builds on "one off" cartridges.

Archived