Stainless Steel Media Tumbling

Deserttech Europe

Yes, look in the annealing thread. I been using it for a few months now and it is the most effective cleaning/polishing system I have tried. I know of six people who have now ordered them, all in the last week, on seeing the results I got on a case (1200+) of RUAG 5.56mm brass. Only downside is that you have to dry the cases after cleaning but no separate polishing required. Some people may be sceptical about possible work hardening effects on the brass but i don't think its an issue as the stainless pins are not impacting on the cases they are gently abrading them in a soapy water solution. Just make sure you use a pH neutral detergent. The results are so good you would struggle to determine used from new cases.

I replied to a similar thread on another forum a while ago about stainless tumbling media and it's the same media and machine used to tumble rocks etc and you can get it all from the Uk, when I get in tonight an on the computer I will see if I can find it and copy it here I that's ok?

I was looking into it before so might have to do it now lol

My RCBS rotary tumbler has just arrived. I will try it with ceramic media first as I happen to have some.

David.

The unit I have is the largest, non-commercial, unit in that particular range. Its rated at 15lbs of whatever you want to put in it, in my case a mixture of brass, water, soap and the 5lbs of steel pins. If you are contemplating getting all the ingredients yourself then make sure you get the right size diameter and length pins (so they don't get stuck in flash holes or case mouths) and that the machine you get can take a decent load of cases as most "hobby" rock tumblers hold between 1 to 3 lbs which wont equate to many brass cases.

Archived