Help please!

terryh

Gents,

Is there anyone here that either can or knows someone who can polish or 'hone' out the ID of a sizing die a few thousanths? I no longer have access to a lathe so need the engineering help.

Basically I have a 45-70 sizing die which just sizes the neck but it's doing 'too much' as I subsiquently expand and flare to accept cast bullets. This set up works but I'm taking the fired case down from .482 to .469 then up again to .475 - lot of work on the brass in one area.

I'd like the sizer opened up approx .004-.005. The sizer die is a Redding

Ideas, thoughts?

Cheers

Terry

Gents,

Is there anyone here that either can or knows someone who can polish or 'hone' out the ID of a sizing die a few thousanths? I no longer have access to a lathe so need the engineering help.

Basically I have a 45-70 sizing die which just sizes the neck but it's doing 'too much' as I subsiquently expand and flare to accept cast bullets. This set up works but I'm taking the fired case down from .482 to .469 then up again to .475 - lot of work on the brass in one area.

I'd like the sizer opened up approx .004-.005. The sizer die is a Redding

Ideas, thoughts?

Cheers

Terry

Terry, I will be interested in the outcome of this. Unfortunately I can't help with the polishing, but I do know that Redding can make you the required die using either the reamer print or three fired cases.

I'm sort of in the same boat as my next project is designed for tacticool shooting and the FL die is sizing the brass too much for my liking. We have come to the conclusion that it's sizing the brass hard so that the case chambers easily every time.I will add that I'm using the cartridge for F class, so I will either have the die polished if it can be done or get Redding to make me die to suit, I do expect to probably end up going with Redding.

Terry, Ian

ive altered a few Redding dies in order that they resize more - by removing material from the base of the die.

All I will say is that they are not friendly on lathe tooling - even Tn coated tooling....

Personally I would send (as Ian suggests) a few fired cases to Redding and have them make up a sizing die to your spec or if you have the reamer used to make your chamber, purchase some Newlon die blanks and have them chambered using the same reamer.

You could possibly polish the existing die a little but I doubt that this would remove more than a few tenths - for the material change you want, I think you need to be sending the die to redding.

Archived