Horus Vision Rocks!

Infact it often appears that in-US the label is freely applied to anyone who buys a black nomex suit or a multicam rig and cares to run around shouting 'hut, hut, hut'.

I think that applies over here too. There are quite a few people who either think or would like people to think that they are military or special forces :rolleyes:

When I use the term special operations, I'm referring to military personnel who are assigned to either Special Operations Command, or the Joint Special Operations Command. That includes Army Rangers, Navy SEALs, U.S. Army Special Forces, whatever the term-of-the-day is for what is commonly called Delta Force, and some Air Force Special Operations personnel.

There are also some special operations personnel who don't fall under those two organizations.

I've seen some non-special-operations snipers using PDAs with ballistic programs, but those were personally acquired.

There are a bunch of people using Ballistic Cards Using Density Altitude along with Kestrel or other atmospheric data sensors, which largely obviates the need for a PDA in the field, which I why I wrote the web page on doing that linked in this sentence.

Thanks Lindy, alles klar. [And those folks have to train at civilian facilities? Blimey, that really is a different approach! (Too much for a Brit brain to a cope with! :rolleyes: ) :) ]

Can't stand PDAs; they're an over-trusted slow-motion crutch with no reversionary mode and a battery burden for 99% of users. But, yes, a rare few will have the need to reach further than most - and be able to gain a position that gives them the time, space and cover to make use of them. All the publicised Brit long hits have been paper-system based.

And paper based tables work just as well (if not better than PDA)

As proved for last 12 months - never had to change the batteries on the 338 and 7mm/270 WSM tables I have and I get pretty much guaranteed first round hit on sensible sixed targets) when I get the windage right.

Total convert to tables...

I think that applies over here too. There are quite a few people who either think or would like people to think that they are military or special forces :rolleyes:

Yup; but I wasn't really looking at the Walt angle; it's more that so many pieces of long range rifle shooting kit have supposed military endorsement and are in use with 'Special Forces'; punters can't check, so it's an easy piece of marketing hype to throw out.

If all the various bits of kit supposedly in-use were in use, the people supposedly using them wouldn't be able to lift their rucksacks.

I think the term I used was grumpy old sod

Hope you have a cool yule ebenezer :lol:

Yup; but I wasn't really looking at the Walt angle; it's more that so many pieces of long range rifle shooting kit have supposed military endorsement and are in use with 'Special Forces'; punters can't check, so it's an easy piece of marketing hype to throw out.

If all the various bits of kit supposedly in-use were in use, the people supposedly using them wouldn't be able to lift their rucksacks.

We like to kid SEALs that the reason they have to deploy with an entire Conex box for each SEAL is all the gear they have to carry around which was given to them so a marketing department could claim it was "in use by Navy SEALs."

Archived