Cleaning with Meths

I've noticed one or two threads on here mention using meths when cleaning a rifle barrel, I've never heard of this and can only assume that it is to evaporate cleaning agent etc or do you guys use it rather than a regular cleaning fluid?

Many thanks

Andy

I dont do it, I would recomend cleaning with oil and pull through with a patch with a solvent that will completely evaporate i.e. meths befor using rifle other wise the oil residues will cause your POI to bo slightly off of the mark. If you clean with meths then store you will leave the barrel unprotected from rust.

Dave

Meths as a cleaner yes but not as a pre-storage regime. With it being denatured alcohol it evaporates easily and will take with it any oily residue.... read, leave the metal unprotected.

Definitely oil after use, otherwise next time you will find rust, unless of course you are firing straight away as others stated.

i store all my rifles with a patch of kroil[2 drops]then before first shot run a patch through with a little lighter fluid on ,by the time all my gear is out and set up the bbl is dry i think the working agent is naptha in the fluid.

Archived