Reading a group ?

MJR

Is it possible to read a group? What I mean is when you're developing a load does one particular group pattern mean one thing, say a horizontal line of bullet strikes and another pattern, say a triangular 3 round group mean another? If so what are the patterns to look out for?

At shorter ranges, say less than 500yds, vertical groups with fliers can often suggest bedding problems. With quality projectiles and good bedding, you don't expect fliers- I'm assuming of course you're firing consistently good shots off a decent rest in calm conditions.

Chris-NZ

Can't remember where I got this info from, but it exists in my (normally empty) head:

a) double grouping: change primer

B) vertical stringing: either breathing issues or need to up the load

c) horizontal stringing: possibly shot in windy conditions

(the assumption here is that there are no shooter errors of course)

Don't know how to diagnose whether the seating depth is to blame for a loose group, but I am sure someone here will enlighten us.

there are some targets that show the shooter where the shot will fall if they jerk the trigger, flinch from recoil etc, you can see these in any of the sites that offer free target downloads and they look like a wheel with spokes.

hope this helps,

best wishes,

Finman

Thanks for the replies. I'm not really experiencing problems just want to try and improve my reloading. Both my rifles are std factory sporters .243 Tikka 595 that I skim bedded into a macmillan stock and a 6.5x55 Sauer 202 and i've managed to get them to both shoot 1/2" or less. Looking back at my targets I can see the different groups I shot and the point of impact and shape changed as the charges changed and I want to learn what this means.

I found the information on this site very useful. Have a look at the whole site. Lots of interesting stuff in there.

http://www.rifleman.org.uk/Fuller_group_diagnosis.htm

George-

some suspect info in that article I feel.

One glaring example- target no.5 of Fig.7 could simply be a fouling shot, and more likely would be in the real world.

Chris-NZ

Thanks for the replies. I'm not really experiencing problems just want to try and improve my reloading. Both my rifles are std factory sporters .243 Tikka 595 that I skim bedded into a macmillan stock and a 6.5x55 Sauer 202 and i've managed to get them to both shoot 1/2" or less. Looking back at my targets I can see the different groups I shot and the point of impact and shape changed as the charges changed and I want to learn what this means.

For factory sporting rifles that is pretty good, you could waste a whole load of barrel life looking for an odd .375 group. Points of impact changes can be down to loads yes but it can also be down to the way you hold it and release the shot.

A

Archived