Chronographs

Hi Tikka

I have a CED Millenium that has been sitting in a box for three years, bought it new and it was a pain to use from day 1, misreads, despite excellent lighting conditions and it will not work in anything less than bright sun.

I've used PACT, which are easily portable and seem to work ok.

However, a few years ago, I bought an Oehler M35, unfortunatly no longer made, but are available if you try hard. Spares are also available from the manufacturers so no probs.

The Oehler is the best chronograph iv'e used, it has never missed a reading and has three screens, which means that it checks itself every time it reads a shot to compute the accuracy of the read. I use this alot, as I do quite alot of load testing in a vareity of rifles so the expense was justified.

Just my 2p anyway.

Hi Tikka,

I use a Chrony F1 which I find easy to use and compact, (folds up in to itself into a small box). They can also be upgraded to suit your needs, you can add a printer, connect to computer etc. Only problem is making sure the bullet passes directly over the sensors as there isn't much room for error, I kept on getting error messages on the screen when I first used it as I wasn't lining it up with the bullets path and missing one of the sensors.

Got mine new off fleabay, I'll pm you the link.

Cheers, Jinks

• 2 months later...
I'm looking at buying a Chronograph and would like to hear your experiences of which makes and models are good

and which are not so good.

Also, any recommendations on where are the good deals on Chrono's?

i have the fi folds up small fit in my range bag had no problems with it paid £60 from

midway uk 12mths ago ,cheap and does the job.

bob64

I have the FI Chrony beta master thingy, its ok a bit tricky to set up but not that bad, my biggest problem is all the features I never have learned how to record strings clear memories, there are only a couple of buttons and you have to press in sequences etc to do certain things, I always just looked at the screen and wrote it down but the little printer is even better. Not a bad unit.

Hi Tikka,

I got a Chronny Master Gamma, comes with remote screen, and a printer which is a very useful thing as you don't want to be spending too much time writing the speeds during a string of shots. Wasn't expensive if bought in the US (a very good friend of mine thankfully obliged and brought it for me).

First inspection shows a very compact design, easy to carry and stow away. You only need a tripod to complete the setup, bought mine from Argos for something like £10-15.

but, I shall say this: without reading the manual, not having ever used one before and being completely stupid when it comes to all things technical, I was able to set it up and take meaningful readings from shot #1. And it got a reading from .204Ruger rounds zipping at 4205 ft/s to 6.5x55 rounds doing 2600 fp/s. I have yet to have an error message from it, and shot it in sunlight or dusk. Switch on and shoot! (just make sure you align it right! Had a friend who shot his!)

Sorry I can't offer any info on best deals in the UK. I think I have had mine from Sinclair's.

Hope this helps.

Best wishes,

Finman

I got my chrony from sinclair. Think it worked out at about 70-80 quid.

Archived