Primer press

colin jalland

I have been using a LEE hand primer press for years now and it is starting to show signs of it's age and you have problems to get equal pressure primer to primer .I would just like to see what you chaps are using or would recomend .The forster looks good as does the redding .

cheers

colin

I have been using a LEE hand primer press for years now and it is starting to show signs of it's age and you have problems to get equal pressure primer to primer .I would just like to see what you chaps are using or would recomend .The forster looks good as does the redding .

cheers

colin

Hi Colin,

I used the Lee for many years, but changed over to the K & M priming tool about 3 years ago which has pretty good feel when seating, also comes with a seating depth indicator, to enable you to seat the primers to the same depth each time. whether it's just me being anal about another element of handloading is debatable, I've personally noticed no difference.

Cant comment on the Forster or Redding, but the new priming tool by 21st Century Shooting looks good,utilises the Lee primer tray, I think if you check out Accurate Shooter.com 6mmBR they have recently done a reveiw.

http://21stcenturyshooting.com/Priming_Tool.php

IMO the Lee does the job at a good price, depends how Gucci you want to go.

Cheers Steve

This RCBS bench capper has been used for many years . After the primer has been seated the case is held firmly in place so the the powder charge may be dropped either from the scale pan or via a large diameter cartridge case which I use to collect the charge when dropped from the powder hopper.

The charged case is then placed in the press for the bullet to be seated.

The alternative insert for small primers is at the right corner of the bench capper.

I do not know if it is still in production but after a lifetimes re-loading I have yet to see a more useful item for purpose.

HWH.

BUGGYCROWS041.jpg

Hi Colin,

I used the Lee for many years, but changed over to the K & M priming tool about 3 years ago which has pretty good feel when seating, also comes with a seating depth indicator, to enable you to seat the primers to the same depth each time. whether it's just me being anal about another element of handloading is debatable, I've personally noticed no difference.

Cant comment on the Forster or Redding, but the new priming tool by 21st Century Shooting looks good,utilises the Lee primer tray, I think if you check out Accurate Shooter.com 6mmBR they have recently done a reveiw.

http://21stcenturyshooting.com/Priming_Tool.php

IMO the Lee does the job at a good price, depends how Gucci you want to go.

Cheers Steve

I've only ever used the Lee hand tools, apart from a very brief trial of the RCBS cast alloy hand tool, and I think they're excellent value. I don't think I've seen any systematic tests on the result of very highly consistent primer seating compared with everyday seating with a hand tool such as the Lee; my feeling is that once you've developed a feel for what you're doing, use of the Lee is unlikely to produce any significant variation round to round caused by fractional differences in primer seating.

K&M make lovely kit and if I wanted to try something more "Gucci" I'd buy their tool like a shot; not sure about that item by 21stC though, since it costs 80 bucks but still uses Lee bits...

Tony

Stuart Anselm (Osprey Rifles)

Osprey Rifles

has ordered a few. I imported the original example seen in this country and showed it to Stuart. I like it, a neat design and very well made.... much more positive than the Lee. You need to buy a pair of Lee Auto-Prime magazines to use on the 21st Century tool if you don't already have the Lee device.

It uses standard Lee Auto-Prime shellholders, although it comes with four very nice brass examples that cover most cartridges

Stuart Anselm (Osprey Rifles)

Osprey Rifles

has ordered a few. I imported the original example seen in this country and showed it to Stuart. I like it, a neat design and very well made.... much more positive than the Lee. You need to buy a pair of Lee Auto-Prime magazines to use on the 21st Century tool if you don't already have the Lee device.

It uses standard Lee Auto-Prime shellholders, although it comes with four very nice brass examples that cover most cartridges

Hello Laurie. The link to Osprey Rifles didn't work for me. I wonder how much they're asking for the 21stC gadget? In the USA it's $80 - but the K&M, with its integral dial gauge, is only $108. I think if I wanted to spend a few quid to try and get significantly more precise primer seating than I've always had using Lee tools, I'd go for the K&M, and buy it in the States too.

Regards, Tony

Archived