A true Test of Marksmanship Not An Equipment Race

Vermincinerator

ASC is a great match. The terrain is beautiful. For examples, see these links to articles on earlier matches:

http://www.snipercountry.com/Articles/ASC_1_2002.asp

http://www.snipercountry.com/Articles/ASC_3_2004.asp

I shot that match in 2003 and 2004, and had a blast.

At our facility, we have done .308-only matches with supplied ammo, and it was a great test of shooting skill.

If you read Ian Kennedy's link on the match below, you'll note that one of the stages is named after me, a great honor, based on a comment I made to one of the match organizers that a competent marksman ought to be able to hit a 2 MOA target from a slung-up sitting position.

http://www.shootingvoodoo.com/index.php/training_and_competitions/the_allegheny_sniper_challenge_/

Hey Lindy.

What a great write up from Ian Kenny,much better then what was posted on Accurate shooter,

Most brit shooters would not have the endurance to complete an event like that let alone get their pampared shooting sticks wet :lol::lol: i certainly know i fall into that category. :lol::lol::lol: .

Dance the lindy sounds a pretty demanding stage, i presume from kneeling or sitting position that no bipods or shooting sticks were allowed?

I can see why you are honoured to have this stage named after you, especially if you are able to score well on it.

Ian.

What a fabulous idea, shame it would never happen in this country. It must be one of the most demanding events out there. Nice to have you on board Lindy, I look forward to your insight on this site.

I agree wholeheartedly imagine a raffle where you get to win a rifle as standard. I worked for an American Coy once and there was Remingtons in the bonus catalogue... awesome, still wouldn't let me have one tho'.

I also temper it with you still need the ability to shoot to win, all the gear in the world wont help you if you can't shoot straight.

Contemplating the need for Osprey Body A at this point :D

Ian: yes, Dance the Lindy is shot sling-supported only. As for being able to score well on it... I aspire to hit 2 MOA targets consistently from sitting, 3 MOA targets from kneeling, and 5 MOA targets standing offhand unsupported. My aspirations, alas, often exceed my ability - but we all need goals. :D

Hi Lindy for about 15 years my shooting buddy has been practising shooting a 6" paper picnic plate at 100yds.

We read about the simple challenge in Guns and ammo many years ago, it being to fire 10 shots in 2 minutes standing unsupported with your C/F bolt action

i am rubbish managing usually at the most 3-4 hits, my mate hits 7-8 times with monotenous regularity sometimes 9 and once all ten.

i regard him as an excetional offhand shot.

Ian.

• 1 month later...

Hi Lindy for about 15 years my shooting buddy has been practising shooting a 6" paper picnic plate at 100yds.

We read about the simple challenge in Guns and ammo many years ago, it being to fire 10 shots in 2 minutes standing unsupported with your C/F bolt action

i am rubbish managing usually at the most 3-4 hits, my mate hits 7-8 times with monotenous regularity sometimes 9 and once all ten.

i regard him as an excetional offhand shot.

Ian.

Hi Ian,

Positional shooting is oft missed by most rifle shooters, because they are blinkered on 'total accuracy'. We all do it and it can be frustrating at times chasing tiny groups.

Nothing more fun than doing some positional drills with some manky old milsurp through a .308 :)

We often do some impromptu courses of fire on the range. Everyone usues the same milsurp, chucks a pound in per detail and winner takes all.

Usually at 300 - 400m we do 9 rounds in a minute from various positions (weak and strong shoulder) and most hits / smallest group on a Fig.11 wins. Quite easy to manage here as we use the AMS system. Can be fun especially 9 rounds in a minute through a rifle with a single 5 round magazine (that wont single feed) :)

For really cheapo practice I've got a .22RF spinner target from the states that has various sized steel disks. Chuck that out at 50m and have a play with the .22

Cheers

Clive

Maybe we should consider some sort of positional shooting in next years UKV shoot ? Remember we shot the rabbit over a number of straw bales. Perhaps we should consider shooting the 200 yard gong from a number of positions with nothing more than a sling.

More emphasis on field craft and less on out & out accuracy at the longer ranges.. It would also be a leveller for those using short barrel hunting rifles versus the 30" F class / benchrester.

I really need to practice with a C/F and Cheap mil surp is the reason I have aquired a .308 however I have just found out that HPS Target are doing some economy .308 with a 155gr sierra bullet for £235 for 500. 47 pence a round, if it shoots I wont need to reload this calibre.

Archived