6br improved for deer?

just thinking, anyone used a 6mmbr for deer? They seem easily capable of reaching the 1700 ft lbs energy, I seen an article on an improved 6mm br that with 95g berger vld's was pushing 3200 fps, which gives over 2100 ft lbs, energy retention is very good with it still holding 1500 fps at 1000 yards and 500 ft lbs. Hopefully getting my ass in gear and getting either a 6mm or 6.5 mm built after christmas as a dual purpose deer/600m range gun, so just exploring all my options.

just thinking, anyone used a 6mmbr for deer? They seem easily capable of reaching the 1700 ft lbs energy, I seen an article on an improved 6mm br that with 95g berger vld's was pushing 3200 fps, which gives over 2100 ft lbs, energy retention is very good with it still holding 1500 fps at 1000 yards and 500 ft lbs. Hopefully getting my ass in gear and getting either a 6mm or 6.5 mm built after christmas as a dual purpose deer/600m range gun, so just exploring all my options.

what about the 6mm hot shooting 105g vlds or 95g VLDs or the 6.5 x47 Dave will post info on that,as he has one.

both very good rounds and basically a BR case on steroids, and brass of the shelf,no messing about blowing cases.

here is a group shot with the 6mm hot at 700y no rest

reverend6x47x270.jpg

and here is the case drawing

6mmhot_reamer_85-107__2.jpg

ATB

Colin :)

Guest varmartin

I use exactly that load for Deer Craigyboy.

It exceeds all legal requirements easily, and mine is a standard 6MMBR but a tight neck.

Its all about bullet placement not full throttle that drops a deer.

Martin

I use a 6mmPPC for deer, Barts 68gr FBHP match bullet has dropped every one of my very limited amount of deer on the spot. You need to keep range's sensible and limit yourself to fallow does and smaller as you have very little room for error. 6BR is a bit more powerfull so using a similar bullet will be fine.

A

now the 6X47 is something I have also given thought too, gonna build it as a medium weight sporter/varmint rifle, Ill be using it mostly for hunting varmints and the odd deer, but would like to mess around at my local ranges out to 600m, no competition's though just for fun. Thinking of a stiller predetor action in stainless, jewel trigger, single shot, pac-nor barrel as far stock I dont know I really fancy a nice dark laminate light varmint stock, the sort of finish thats on those shenane tracker stocks I like mac stocks but being a joiner I have a love of fine woods :)

I would delete your comments mate if i was you as what you are shooting is illegal as barts are not classed as expanding amunition so is illegal on deer

By the letter of the law you are right but none the less they have hollow points and do expand nicely on deer and produce a nice clean kill with almost no carcase damage. There are no other bullets in 6mm at this weight that are not either varmint types (expands to fast) or match bullets. On neck shot foxes you would not be able to tell what had hit them, a match or a vmax, (i use them on foxes in rape stubbles at this time of year) but on deer I have neck and heart shot roe and munties and without exception the have all dropped where they stood. I would say they all were supported shots, none further than about 125 yards so placement was spot on. I hasten to add that these are few in number as I am mainly a pheasant shot.

A

I use a 6mmbr, but i,ve never shot a deer with it.However, its easily the most accurate cartridge i,ve ever shot, and is probarbly still THE cartridge up to 600 yards, much as the ppc is the best 300 yard cartridge. To be honest, all the current crop of 6mm specials, like 6x47, etc are excellent, but beware, as some, such as the 6mm hot etc, are barrel burners. A good compromise is the dasher, or the 6x47 swiss match, if you want that little bit more, than a 6mmbr, plus all these cartridges will mag feed, the 6mmbr wont, or not well at best.Worlds your oyster mate really. My next project is gonna be a .260rem Ackley improved.Just remember that the faster ones are going to cost you barrel life, thats the trade off buddy.

hey bud you do what ever you like but what you are doing is highly ilegal no matter if the bullet has an hollow point it is martketed as a match bullet and designed not to expand so in a court of law you would be spiral staircaseed and your ticket taken away,no disrepect but I cant understand why people insist on using the wrong bullet and a caliber not designed to harvest deer,I find this irresponsable

but please done advertise the fact you are doping something illegal as this is a publix forum and you never know who is reading it,Iam sure most feel the same way on this matter and wouldnt like a fellow shooter to get into bother

Very interesting topic!!!!

Funky my dear i understand where you are coming from as i do others but may i say as for the caliber not designed for deer may i say that in my personal experience that my 6mm ppc running the 85 grain nosler makes 1736 ftlbs and onehole accuracy / so its over 240 cal / Is a expanding bullet / gives you over 1700 ftlbs and all the confidence in placing that shot!!!

That 6mm br gives you that bit more with that same wonderful accuracy!!!

Have shot roe and fallow does with mine with great results / but if it comes to a invite with the big boys ( reds ) out comes the 6.5-284!!!

The 6ppc and 6mm BR makes a lovely tool for roe and cull fallow does with correct shot placement which after all is the most important thing as with keeping to the law!!!

You can load both these calibers to meet the criteria and with awesome accuracy to boot !! But as always you have to cater for those not in the know / as in reds / sika use a bigger caliber!!!

Back to the post - out friend wants to shoot out 600 yds so thats the 6ppc out of it and 6mm BR in!!! So the first question is--- What size deer do you plan to shoot , if they are big boys then get a big toy!! But a accurate one :D :D

Look forward to your replies and thanks guys.............

RAY...................................

Locally I have fallow and a lot of sika I think there are a few reds too, if I go south there seems to be an abundance of sika and sika/red hybrids. So I suppose I will need to consider something heavier, I really like the 6.5-284 but it seems to be a real barrel burner and a hard kicker.

Hi buddy looks like a super slapper then :D :D

All joking apart my 6.5-284 has a reflex moderator on it and when i launch my 140 grain bullets it recoils like a pussy cat just ask varmartin hes shot it and so has onehole and his missus!! They said how surprised they was on lack of recoil !! Shame you was not closer you could of tried her out!!

The 6.5-55 is a real pussy cat too , especially with a moddie too!!!

I am sure the guys on here will help you in your decision , thats the nice thing about on here they are always willing to help!!

Thanks lads........ :D :D

All the best............

RAY.................... :D;)

Guest 308Panther

If you have stepped as far as the .270....reach half a step farther and get a .308Win....

It can and will drop everything a 30-06 can and its alot more accurate than an ' 06 too.

And there is no question of wether or not its legal for deer.

308Panther

I would second the 308, great fun, cheap ammo and

plenty reload bits. It'll drop a deer a bit quicker than a

6.5. Forget this bullshit talk about shot placement, fact is

you do your best in the field to hit the deer where the book say's,

this will be achieved many times, but not always. That's when you're glad

to put a bigger hole in the beast.

270 is not too bad either, bit flatter shooting but bigger action.

edi

Archived