New sizing dies from Exact

trucraft

Interesting - looks like a nice bit of kit.

My issue with full custom dies is that once you've shot your barrel out and rebarrel, the die becomes useless because it won't match the new chamber. Even if you use the same identical reamer on the 2nd barrel as on the first, dimensions will not be identical.

If the tolerances they're reporting are true, using the die for a new barrel may not work, leaving an expensive paperweight. I assume it could be possible to supply new fireformed brass from barrel two along with the old die and they could machine/alter it per new specs...but that's more money.

I use Whidden F/L bushing dies but chose not to go the custom made route for the above reasons.

It would be interesting to hear the experiences from folks with dies custom made from fireformed brass.

3 hours ago, Catch-22 said:

My issue with full custom dies is that once you've shot your barrel out and rebarrel, the die becomes useless because it won't match the new chamber. Even if you use the same identical reamer on the 2nd barrel as on the first, dimensions will not be identical.

Repeating chamber dimensions is easy enough if you use the same reamer. 

I guess if someone is investing in a set of custom dies they need to know the person that will be supplying their barrels going forward can do this. If the person doing the work can't cut two chambers the same using the same reamer then they are using a method that is fundamentally flawed. 

10 minutes ago, Big Al said:

Repeating chamber dimensions is easy enough if you use the same reamer. 

I guess if someone is investing in a set of custom dies they need to know the person that will be supplying their barrels going forward can do this. If the person doing the work can't cut two chambers the same using the same reamer then they are using a method that is fundamentally flawed. 

Interesting - I stand corrected.

I had thought that each successive use of the reamer its dimension is reduced just ever so slightly. Coupled with the extreme tolerances of said dies, the two chambers would just be fractionally different. But not so then. 

As you say, it does depend on using the same reamer and the same process, so I can see owning the reamer (like I own my .338 Norma Mag) is critical.

Thanks for the clarity.

10 hours ago, Catch-22 said:

Interesting - I stand corrected.

I had thought that each successive use of the reamer its dimension is reduced just ever so slightly. Coupled with the extreme tolerances of said dies, the two chambers would just be fractionally different. But not so then. 

Thanks for the clarity.

Reamers will wear for sure but that will vary depending on how they are used and the amount is minuscule in relative terms to this discussion. Bear in mind the wear would also be even and because you are working with a tapered case and resizing die that also offers variable/independent headspace adjustment, it could easily take up any wear and still produce very well fitted brass, much better than the randomly sloppy or overly tight dies sometimes do. The problem with dies made for SAAMI spec cases is that there are top and bottom tolerances in both the die manufacture and also the manufacture of the chamber reamers. Add to that the user of the reamer to cut your chamber or make the die on size and sometimes you end up with a real sizing headache. Ive seen this quite a few times.

I think the limitations of this system would most likely be the end users ability to make it do what its designed to. I like the concept but I dont think it will change things for most people. I guess in general a lot of the time regular dies work just fine for most people. Its only when you have a problem or if your looking for the highest levels of accuracy that going the custom route can help. 

I’ve ordered one of these Exact Dies in 6.5 X 47 Lapua. Price is £400 plus shipping from South Africa and Vat etc once here.

will know more in 5-6 weeks 

51 minutes ago, Danpd said:

I’ve ordered one of these Exact Dies in 6.5 X 47 Lapua. Price is £400 plus shipping from South Africa and Vat etc once here.

will know more in 5-6 weeks 

Could tell they wouldn't be cheap and I assume you don't even get a seating die with that.

Did you order it in SAAMI spec or send 10 cases 5x fired and only neck sized?

Archived